FALL BREAK!

Posted on October 24, 2011.

Happy (Belated) Birthday To You, Happy (Belated) Birthday To You,

Happy (Belated Birthday To Lara, Happy Birthday To You!

It’s a beautiful day here in Greenwich Village. Yeah, that’s right. I’m sitting in my dad’s office in Manhattan writing this week’s entry. Boy, is it good to be home. Don’t get me wrong, High Point University is certainly my home away from home, but nothing will ever compare to Long Island, New York. Today, I woke up at 5:00 in the morning (#struggle) and went into the city with my father. As mentioned before, he works right in Greenwich Village, which is a pretty cool place to spend your day…if you ask me. For those of you that don’t know where “The Village” actually is, it’s NYU territory. It’s basically everything you would think about when you think about New York City. It’s a great place to be.

Fall break means midterm grades at High Point University. I did relatively well, if I do say so myself- nothing but As and Bs. For those of you prospective students out there, college is not impossible, it’s really not. I wouldn’t even say it’s necessarily “difficult.” The volume of work is far superior to that of high school but the material itself isn’t impossible. You’re supposed to be challenged in the classroom. It’s what keeps you working hard, and High Point certainly keeps its students working hard. Sure, some struggle and others find it hard to keep up, but that all has to do with time management. Now, understand that by no means am I saying that High Point University is an “easy” place to receive an education, because that is definitely not the case. What I am saying is that your grades will reflect the work you put in. Like anything else in the world, success is achieved with hard work. If you work hard, manage your time wisely and make smart decisions, you will do very, very well. Of course there are some students who put in minimal work and achieve great success and if you’re one of those people, congrats. I envy you. But for the other ninety-eight percent of us out there, success, more specifically academic success, is achieved by hard work.

I take an eighteen-credit course schedule. For those of you who don’t understand what that means, I take as many classes and as many credits as a High Point University student can possibly take. I personally like to fill my day with as much as possible to avoid any procrastination along the way, allowing me to focus on completing all assignments, studying, etc. My schedule seems overwhelming, and I suppose at times it could be, but the teachers and advisors at High Point University do everything possible to ensure your academic life at HPU is all but filled with success. Every one of my professors is available to help me with any questions or concerns before and/or after class and all professors respond promptly to emails. In other words, any stress I have had at HPU, academically, has been very short lived.

So, if you’re considering High Point University as your home for the next four years (which you definitely should be), do not worry about struggling with your classes. As long as you work hard and do everything that your professor asks, you’ll be fine. Every member of the HPU faculty is willing to provide each student with everything needed to succeed inside and outside of the classroom. They are all very approachable and willing to assist you, whether it’s meeting before class, meeting after class or communicating at nine o’clock at night (through email of course.) If you’re looking for an incredible campus with over-the-top amenities, compassionate students and an amazing staff filled with caring people who provide you with the necessary tools to walk away with an extraordinary (there’s that word again) education, then High Point University is the place for you.

If you don’t mind, I’m going to continue enjoying the most incredible city the world has to offer. I really do love New York.

Take care,

Oh, here’s a fun fact: On November 9, 2011, RiverRun is holding its inaugural Fall Film Premiere event and VIP Reception at the Stevens Center in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. I was recently selected to represent the festival as a Student Ambassador. So, if you’re seeing all of my RiverRun tweets and Facebook posts, take a look! It’s going to be a lot of fun. This year, RiverRun is showing “Being Elmo: A Puppeteers Journey.” The film is all about Kevin Clash, the man behind the magic at Sesame Street. Tickets are still available at www.riverrun.com/events. Be sure to check it out!