Once Upon a Time…

Posted on November 17, 2011.

Once upon a time…
I had my mind made up on where I wanted to go to school. I don’t know if I’m allowed to tell you which school I wanted to go to, but just know that HPU wasn’t exactly my first choice. In fact, I’d never even heard of HPU. This was all in the November/December range of last year. At that point, I already got into my number 1 school, and I was so excited to go. I toured twice, and did the normal college stalking one does when they start applying.
Then…

I got some information in the mail about High Point University. I’d never heard of it before, but the picture on the front of the booklet looked nice (it was a picture of the University Center) so I decided to skim through. This was last year when Lance Armstrong came to HPU to speak. I remember one of the articles said something along the lines of 2.1 Billion Dollars Invested in High Point University. That definitely caught my attention, so I read on. Everything seemed so (please excuse me) extraordinary! It wouldn’t hurt to apply would it? I mean, what’s the worst that could happen? They reject me and I go to my #1 school? Everything happens for a reason, so if I don’t get in, that means it wasn’t meant to be.

So I applied…

After about a month of waiting, I got my acceptance letter in the mail, which didn’t really help my decision-making situation. So what else could I do but at least tour the school? I set up my tour date that day.
When my tour day came around, I was strangely excited. I remember driving for what seemed like an hour and a half (because it was) and witnessing the school just emerge out of nowhere. It all hit me at once. Needless to say, the tour was epic. I was overwhelmed by how amazing the school was. The facilities are top notch, the food was great, and the campus was alive! Everyone was happy to be there. How could you not be? I couldn’t go to any other school. Not when I saw what HPU had to offer.

The moral of the story is, weigh your options. Even if HPU isn’t your top choice, don’t jump the gun on your college decision.