The Home Stretch

11.29.2011

In case you were wondering: as of this very moment in time, 8:50 AM on Tuesday, November 29, 2011, Christmas is approximately 25 days, 3 hours and 44 minutes away.

CONGRATULATIONS! Many of you have just recently been accepted to High Point University. I cannot believe i t has already been one year since my Early Decision acceptance letter came in the mail. It is a very exciting time, that’s for sure! For me, it was such a relief going back to school knowing I had already been accepted to the university of my dreams; no more stressful waiting game for me. Keep working hard, but take a deep breath, you have just been accepted to High Point University!

November was a very busy month for me at High Point University. Recently, some HPU students, myself included, attended SNCURCS 2011 at Eastern Carolina University. SNCURCS, State of North Carolina Undergraduate Research and Creativity Symposium, is an event that provides undergraduate students with the ability to present and observe hundreds of research projects pertaining to anything and everything from organic chocolate cake to solar powered buildings. High Point University students, under the direction of Dr. Joanne Altman, Director of Undergraduate Research and Creative Works, traveled to SNCURCS with a variety of observers and presenters. Our HPU presenters gave some of the most interesting presentations of the day, while our observers learned a great deal about the research process.

November also marks the end of President’s Seminar. For those of you who don’t know, President Nido Qubein teaches a class twice a week for High Point University students, and every one of you is REQUIRED to take it. Let me just tell you that I have never met an HPU student who had anything negative to say about President’s Seminar. Dr. Qubein gives a series of lectures that both educate and inspire the freshman class, sharing various tips on how to be successful as a student, as a professional and most importantly, as a human being. Not to mention, President Qubein gives out a ton of cool stuff, all of which symbolizes something that had been taught in that day’s lecture. It’s a great class. I honestly wish I could take it again.

It’s almost time for final exams at High Point University…yippee. At HPU, we go home for Thanksgiving break and when we arrive back on campus, we break again for Christmas within the next three weeks, but not before final exams. I cannot wait to start studying my life away in the library.

In case you were wondering: as of this very moment in time on Tuesday, November 29, 2011, John Marsicano’s Christmas Break is approximately 18 days, 13 hours and 17 minutes away.

I enjoyed my Thanksgiving break at home but was really ready to get back to High Point. Soon enough you’ll discover just how incredible this place actually is. I love everything about High Point University. It is certainly my home away from home. I may even argue that Long Island, New York is my home away from home at this point. There is just something about High Point University that makes you want to be the best you can be and surround yourself with the most compassionate, caring people. I know it seems very superficial right now, but believe me; everything you hear about High Point University is true. This place is absolutely, positively gorgeous. The people are absolutely incredible. I have never been around so many caring and compassionate faces and their campus instills a sense of motivation and determination within its students, inspiring us to be the best we can be.

I wish everyone a happy, healthy holiday. Talk to you soon!