A Lot Can Change in a Year

Posted on December 14, 2011.

2010 vs. 2011

Then: We couldn’t get “Billionaire” by Travis McCoy out of our heads.

Now: We all wish we could sing “Someone Like You” as good as Adele.

Then: Bieber still had his marvelous swoopy hair.

Now: Bieber is rocking the shorter hair but is still as dreamy as ever. Hate all you want, but you know he’s adorable.

Then: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

Now: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. And tears, many tears, of those who realized it was Harry, Ron, and Hermione’s last adventure.

Approximately 365 days ago, I was a senior in high school counting down every day to when Christmas break started.

Currently, I’m a freshman at HPU trying to make the last few days of my first semester last as long as possible. I can honestly say I’ve never been this content any other place in my life.

Why is it so hard to leave? Well on top of the free hot chocolate in the morning, filet mignon from The Prime, and all of the food in between; even more than the comfiest couches your butt will ever get the pleasure of sitting on; the people who are here make the school as amazing as it is.

The other day someone posted a picture of Dr. Qubein, president of the university, running out of his office to the parking lot to give a student a coat on a cold day. This is an example of one of the reasons that made me want to go to High Point- the people here care about each other.  At High Point, you’re not a number or a test score; you are a person.

Something else was going down in 2010 that some of you might be doing right now too- Presidential Scholarship application. I remember three essay questions didn’t seem like a lot, but actually trying to write them took a lot of time.  Don’t stress, though. Like I said, High Point cares about the students. Don’t think of the essays as trick questions. Just be honest with your answers and convey to the school what an asset you’ll be to our HPU family and why you want to be here.

I, myself, am a Presidential Scholar, and I can tell you first-hand that working hard in this scholarship process pays off.   See my picture? That’s the day I found out I got a scholarship. I was so excited when I saw it in my mailbox that I left my car running.  Soon enough that could be you. Just remember to turn off your car in your moment of glory. I wouldn’t be at this school without my scholarship, and I’m so glad that I am.

Have a great winter break, and remember that you have the ability to decide where you’ll be in a year. I hope that whatever decision you make, you’ll be as happy as I am as a High Point student. Oh, and feel free to ask any questions about HPU or the Presidential Scholarship in the comments below. I’m kind of an expert.

Check back in five weeks. I’ll be sure to catch you up on everything!