Painting the Town Red. Well, Purple.

Posted on April 3, 2012.

You know those times when somebody says, “What did you do this weekend?” and you’re like, “…nothing”?

This was not one of those weekends.

I spent my weekend in Charleston, SC with the High Point University Honors Program. It was incredible!

We left on Friday afternoon, and got to Charleston around 5:00. We had the entire night to ourselves to do what we wanted. I went to a place called Hyman’s for dinner that is famous for seafood (and having famous patrons- I ate at the same table that Raven Symone had eaten at!). Then a couple of friends and I walked down through the town and to the battery to see the water.

Saturday, we toured the Boone Plantation. It’s actually the residence that they used for Rachel McAdams’ house in the movie The Notebook. So basically all of the girls were running around trying to figure out how to stand in the exact same place Ryan Gosling had once stood.

That afternoon, I went to the market in downtown. It was a good seven blocks away from our hotel, so naturally, it started to torrentially downpour when we got that far away. And yes, we walked back in the rain. I have never been so soaked in my life. But we had to get back in time to get ready for our… DINNER CRUISE!

That’s right ladies and gentlemen, you travel with HPU, and you get an extraordinary trip. All of the students (and professors) got dolled up for a fancy dinner on a boat, followed by dancing and taking Titanic-esque pictures leaning over the balcony.

It was seriously one of my best weekends of college so far, and I know it’s not something I would have been to do at another school. Opportunities like this make me so thankful to call myself an HPU student, and I can’t wait to take advantage of more future experiences.