Introducing Summer…

07.23.2012

What has two thumbs and an unusual love for marine invertebrates, comes from San Diego, and has already been on the High Point campus for 22 days?

This girl!

While the majority of my fellow freshmen are still pouring over their packing lists and trying to calm their pre-college butterflies, I’ve been taking classes and adjusting to dorm life through the Summer Experience program, along with 200 other freshmen. High Point has already offered me so many extraordinary experiences, such as tubing down the Dan River, watching movies on the Promenade, having massages the weekend before finals and of course, eating at the steakhouse! I’ve met so many friendly people and I feel like I’ll definitely have a head start in getting adjusted first semester.

Luckily for you, I’m going to share some of the things I’ve learned (about student life,that is—I don’t think you want to hear about my Biology class). So without further ado, here is Summer’s Comprehensive List of Everything You Might  (and I Did) Forget to Pack:

1) Warm clothes! Even though it’s been nearly 100 degrees every day here, the air conditioning in the buildings can be a bit chilly, and I always find myself wishing I had a sweater.

2) A hand vacuum. Also, Lysol wipes. You might not think your dorm will get dirty, but it will.

3) A rug or mat for the bathroom. Thank goodness my roommate brought one, or I would have probably broken a limb by now getting out of the shower.

4) An umbrella. Coming from a dry climate, I wasn’t thinking about rain. Now is a great time to buy a cute umbrella and rain boots!

5) Wall decorations. Whether it’s pictures, artwork or just a calendar, you might want something to take up space on your wall and give your room a personal touch.

And my main word of advice is to not be afraid to talk to people. Everyone is just as nervous as you are, and there isn’t going to be anyone strongly opposed to making a friend.

Well, that’s it folks! Summer Experience wraps up this week for finals, and then I’m off for three weeks of impatiently waiting to come back. I can’t wait to meet the rest of my classmates, and if you see me, be sure to say hi!

Until next time,

Summer Kiesel