I’m thankful for…

Posted on November 20, 2012.

Can you believe Thanksgiving is only a few days away? I certainly can’t.  I have definitely had more than enough time to reflect on the things I am thankful for, and I couldn’t be more excited to head back home to New York and spend Thanksgiving at home, with my family. However, we, the students of High Point University, have plenty to be thankful for here on campus. One person in particular has been shedding light on our campus and throughout the lives of the HPU student’s day in and day out. Allow me to explain…

Vernell Fowler, or “Miss Vernell,” as most High Point University students call her, has been working for High Point UniversityCampus Enhancement for twenty-three years. Miss Vernell has literally witnessed High Point University grow throughout the years, through new buildings and expanding student bodies. She has certainly seen her fair share of students come and go, but as Miss Vernell said in a recent interview with High Point University, “I cannot pass you without saying, ‘Hey,’” she says. “I just want to put a smile on your face.” You see, no matter how many students Miss Vernell has seen come through High Point University, her attitude remains inspiring and uplifting. It’s clear that Miss Vernell lives to lighten student’s days, and she has certainly made an everlasting impression on most if not all students on this campus.

So today, I am writing to you all to say that I am thankful for Miss Vernell and my entire High Point University family. At High Point, I am surrounded by people who want to see me succeed, people who want me to achieve great things. At High Point, I am given every resource, every opportunity to turn my dreams into a reality, and surrounding myself with inspiring, compassionate people like Miss Vernell really gives me a sense that each and every student on this campus is an individual, each and every student matters, and each and every student will change the world. I am thankful for my friends, I am thankful for my family, I am thankful for Miss Vernell, and I am thankful for High Point University.

Happy Thanksgiving,