March Madness

03.20.2013

Greetings future Panthers!

I hope that your spring has sprung, because it certainly has here at High Point University.  For you prospective freshmen that are still buried in the snow, remember that your time in North Carolina is right around the corner!

It’s March Madness time here at High Point, and because we are in such a basketball state, we are very excited about the success of our athletes out on the court.  One such athlete has the chance to shine on the national stage during the College Slam Dunk Contest during this year’s Final Four.  His name is Corey Law.

And WOW can he dunk!

watch?v=tZ7NbnbNtns&list=PLFxNb-ApIF0iNfdY-MYjWuXPNeqTGYoLd&index=2

I have never been blessed with any sort of skills on the basketball court.  If the world was in danger, and the only way to save it was for me to win a basketball game, then I’m sorry y’all, but we are out of luck.  The movie Space Jam would have had a decidedly different ending if I had been the star.  The song “Brick House” is not about a pretty lady, but is in fact about how I shoot.  You get the picture.

So to say that Corey Law is the polar opposite of me when it comes to basketball talent is a supreme understatement.  Corey is a red-shirt senior with our Men’s Basketball Team, and his exploits on the court have made him a sensation here on campus.  He soars above competitors, and makes the effort-full look effortless.  He’s been featured on ESPN, and he seems destined for many, many more highlight reels.  It is truly a sight to behold when watching him dunk, because I know that no matter how hard I try, he’s doing something that I will never be able to do.

But the same can be said for all of our students.  The experiences that they are having here on our extraordinary campus are out of this world, and I couldn’t have dreamed of doing what they’re doing while in college.  Whether it’s learning from top professors in their field, to living and growing in an environment that engages them intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually, these students are doing things that make me, each and every day, say “Wow, I wish I could do that.”

We encourage our students to take part in these experiences because we don’t want them to miss out on the opportunities here on campus.  We also don’t want them to miss out on all the opportunities that await them when they graduate.  The future is bright for our students.  Some are headed off to graduate school.  Others are headed to some of the finest companies in the world.

And in the case of Corey Law, one is headed to the Final Four Slam Dunk Contest on April 4th.  It will be televised on ESPN, and I encourage you to cheer him on.  I know we all will be!

Until next time,

Lars