It’s easy to love the South, y’all

11.19.2013

Growing up in the north, I had a pretty harsh opinion of southern folk and had grouped them into two categories. There were folks who could’ve been characters from Gone with the Wind, dressed to the nines attending fabulous parties and drinking sweet tea on the front porch. And then there were those southern rebels, who flew their confederate flag proudly at the NASCAR races, truly believed that the south would rise again, and donned their finest camouflage regardless of season.

I was wrong. Sure, southerners love their sweet tea and NASCAR, but the one thing that I never knew about the south was how warm and welcoming the people here are. And, after living here for a while, the people are what I love most about being in the south. Be it a friendly smile or hearing “hey y’all” spoken in a sweet southern twang, the folks here make you feel like you’re part of the family.

Being new to High Point University this year, I am blown away by the kindness of the people here and the genuine concern for others. When you visit campus, you’ll meet our very own southern belles, Laney and Sally, who will bring a smile to your face with their charm and southern spunk. I’m lucky to work at a university where staff members truly see you as part of the family and care for you.  So, if you’re like me, and have some preconceived notions of the south, I would encourage you to come to HPU and see for yourself. I bet we’ll surprise you!

Until next time, y’all!

Julee Mitsler
Admissions Counselor for Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Colorado, Montana and Hawaii
Find Julee on Facebook