Social Media – In The Classroom!

01.27.2014

I am having an amazing start to my last semester of college. I truly love each of my classes and find myself enjoying doing the assignments for each one! One of the classes I am taking this semester is on the topic of social media. I figured that this would be simple since I basically live on Twitter and Instagram, but the class is much more than that. Some of the things I have already learned include how to create a captivating headline for your LinkedIn profile, the best times of day to tweet to get a message across more effectively and other tips about professional social media skills.

Most recently, we read a few articles about Mark Zuckerberg and the creation of Facebook while comparing it to his portrayal in the movie “The Social Network.” In an interview we watched of Zuckerberg after the movie came out, he said that the movie got some parts right, especially his wardrobe, but other parts were not true at all. It was interesting to watch him talk about an inaccurate depiction of himself because he took the movie with a grain of salt and was able to laugh it off.

One of my favorite parts of the class is the different dynamics our professor implements. In one class, we can have a group reading quiz, a social media news assignment presentation and an in-depth class discussion about the readings or videos we have watched for class. I am learning a lot more about social media than I expected. I am really excited to see how the class progresses! We have an assignment coming up shortly – a 48 hour social media blackout! I will let you know how it goes!

Steph
Friend Steph on Facebook.