Alumni Success Series – Leanna Bigelow

Posted on February 26, 2014.

Another Wednesday means another alumni success story! Get ready to meet Leanna! She was a strategic communication and marketing major when she was at High Point University. Leanna graduated in 2013 and is currently the Guest Experience Services Professional Intern at the Walt Disney World® Resort. Here’s her story:

Leanna_work_photo“As a marketing major at HPU, I enjoyed my classes because I was exposed to many of the different facets of business, from finance to economics to sales development.  Now that I’m working for Disney, the number one entertainment company on the Fortune 500 list, I have been able to see first-hand how a successful company operates.  I can identify practices that I learned in my classes at HPU in the daily operations at the Walt Disney World® Resort.  My four years at HPU prepared me for the real world because I had the opportunity to learn how to succeed in an interview and effective ways to network.  The President’s Seminar for Life Skills, taken during both my freshman year and senior year, taught me how to manage my hard-earned money effectively, how to navigate a first job after graduation and the importance of finding a job that I actually enjoy.

My strategic communication major has helped me specifically with my current role with the company.  I am responsible for communicating with guests in response to their questions, concerns, or compliments regarding the Walt Disney World® Resort.  I am working in a role that requires that I make many phone calls to guests and compose numerous emails and letters in which I speak on behalf of the company.  I am ensuring that the company is seen in the best light in every situation.  I utilize many of the techniques that I learned in my strategic communication classes, particularly the ones that had an emphasis in public relations.  After only two weeks of working independently in my new role, the leadership of my department recognized me because of my excellent work.

I am so fortunate to be an HPU alumna.  I think it’s fitting that I work for a company that is known for producing extraordinary work since I went to a university that encouraged me to, “Be Extraordinary!”  I am confident that a portion of my success while working for Disney can be attributed to the firm educational foundation that I received while I was a student at High Point University.”

She’s helping to make dreams come true!

What career field would you like to see featured in the Alumni Success Series? HPU grads are working for every type of company you can imagine, so let me know!

Steph