Congratulations on your acceptance to High Point University as an incoming degree-seeking, exchange, or study abroad student! We are excited for your arrival to HPU.
To help you prepare for your semester at HPU, we’ve compiled information into a comprehensive arrival guide, covering pre-departure materials, arrival information, and academic tips to assist you during your time at HPU. You’ll also find answers to frequently asked questions. The Arrival Guide can be accessed below.
August 2019 Arrival Details
|Fall 2019 Calendar|
|TBA||Fall 2019 Payments Due|
|14 AUG 2019*||Arrive in Greensboro, NC|
|15 AUG 2019||Orientation begins & accommodations open|
|19 AUG 2019||Classes begin|
|12 – 20 OCT 2019||Mid-semester Break (no classes)|
|27 – 29 NOV||Thanksgiving Holiday (no classes)|
|04 DEC 2019||Last day of classes|
|06 – 12 DEC 2019||Exams|
New student orientation begins, and HPU campus housing opens, on 15 August. Students who arrive earlier than 14 August will need to secure alternate accommodation arrangements.
Apply for Your Visa
In order to make an appointment at your U.S. Embassy or Consulate, you will need to provide your SEVIS number. SEVIS, or Student and Exchange Visitor Information System, is the database used to maintain your information regarding your non-immigrant status. From your SEVIS record, we have issued you a Form I-20: Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. Your SEVIS number has been emailed to you from Dr. Marjorie Church. Your Form I-20 and original acceptance letter have been mailed to you or your home university coordinator.
Once you receive your acceptance letter and Form I-20, you must pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee.
Federal regulations require all F, M and J students pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee before applying for their U.S. student visa. You can pay your I-901 SEVIS Fee online at www.FMJfee.com or by using Western Union Quick Pay. You must present the receipt as proof of payment when you apply for your visa. It’s important that the SEVIS ID number on your I-901 SEVIS Fee receipt matches your SEVIS ID number on your Form I-20. If it does not, or you encounter other issues paying your fee, please contact SEVP.
After paying the I-901 SEVIS Fee and getting a receipt, you must apply for a visa at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate before you come to the United States.
To receive a visa, you will have to participate in an in-person interview. During your visa interview, you will need to establish that you meet the requirements under U.S. law to receive the category of visa for which you are applying. The consular officer will determine if you qualify to receive a visa and which visa category is appropriate based on your purpose of travel.
A visa does not guarantee entrance to the United States; it only permits you to arrive and seek permission to enter the country. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at the U.S. port of entry has the final authority to admit entry into the country. The following link will assist with this process: https://www.ice.gov/sevis/students.
So, to recap:
- Wait for the original copies of your acceptance letter and Form I-20
- Once received, pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee by following the instructions above
- Follow the instructions on the website of the embassy or consulate where you will apply for a visa
- Participate in your visa interview
- Prepare for your trip! Make your flight arrangements, share them with us, submit our Arrival Information form online, and get your documents in order for traveling.
To prepare for your travels once you have your visa, please read the important guidelines below in order to ensure that you have as smooth an arrival as possible:
When to Arrive:
Please plan your flight so that you arrive in High Point on Wednesday, 14 August 2019. This will give you a chance to stay overnight in a local hotel and recover from jetlag before moving in on campus (more info below).
How to Route Your Flight(s):
The closest airport to High Point University is Piedmont-Triad International Airport (GSO, also known informally as the Greensboro Airport). We strongly advise that you plan your flights to land at GSO as your final destination. If you fly into other airports the expense of traveling to High Point can be quite high.
How Should I Prepare for My Trip?:
Before you leave for the United States, familiarize yourself with the documents you will need when you arrive. Required documents include your: Passport, Visa, Form I-20. It is also smart to have your acceptance letter, proof of financial ability and any other supporting documentation with you, in case the Customs and Border Protection officer asks for them. You should carry your original travel documents on you at all times while traveling. Do not put them in your checked baggage. For more information on traveling to the United States, visit the Getting to the United States page.
Once You Land:
If you land at GSO on Wednesday, 14 August between 9:00 A.M. and 9:00 P.M. (as we are suggesting), our staff from the Office of Global Education will be present to greet you at the airport in the baggage claim! We will help you request a shuttle to your night’s hotel accommodation.
Where to Stay Once You Arrive:
The Office of Global Education recommends you stay at the Fairfield Inn Greensboro Airport, a local hotel near the Piedmont-Triad International Airport and HPU’s campus. The hotel will provide a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel when you arrive (and we’ll be at the airport to help make sure you find your shuttle). Be advised that some other hotels in the area do not have on-site restaurants, and public transportation is not readily available. If you choose to stay elsewhere, or land at a different airport or on a different day, you will be responsible for your own transportation from the airport and to campus.
To reserve your room, visit the Fairfield Inn Greensboro Airport website.
What Happens the Next Day:
- Mandatory orientation begins on campus in Cottrell Hall at 9:00 A.M. on Thursday, 15 August.
- The hotel will provide a complimentary hot breakfast. Please take advantage of this!
- The Office of Global Education will provide complimentary shuttle service to the HPU campus from the Fairfield Inn by Marriott Greensboro Airport hotel on the morning of orientation.
- Shuttle pick-up will be at 8:30 A.M. on Thursday, 15 August.
- Please be checked out of your room with all of your luggage and ready outside of the hotel to board the shuttle at 8:30 A.M.
What Happens for the Rest of Orientation:
- Please read over all materials and future that you are sent from HPU, as they will describe your day-to-day schedule in detail.
- Required orientation events last through Sunday, 18 August. Classes begin on Monday, 19 August.
Now that we’ve covered your first few days at HPU, please make sure to complete the following tasks once you’ve booked your flight:
- Forward your complete flight itinerary in English to firstname.lastname@example.org. This can be your flight confirmation email, a picture file, screenshot, PDF, etc. We ask that you send us this as soon as you complete your flight arrangements.
- Complete our FALL 2019 ARRIVAL INFORMATION form. Completing this form as soon as your travel plans are confirmed is very important and is required so that we can plan accordingly for your orientation!
- Review the 2019-2020 Arrival Guide for Exchange & Study Abroad Students. This contains very helpful information about your transition to HPU!