Welcome back! For my blog readers from last year and new readers just tuning in, I am thrilled to return back to Wake Forest University as an Undergraduate Research Assistant this summer with many thanks to Dr. Christa Colyer. Last year, with the help of my academic advisor in the Chemistry Department of High Point University, I was chosen by Dr. Colyer to conduct research in her lab. It provided an amazing opportunity to gain experience in an analytical chemistry lab, how to conduct research, the techniques to using lab instrumentation, and more. I was ecstatic when Dr. Colyer invited me to return, so hold on because this summer is sure to be an amazing ride!

I returned back to the Wake Forest campus last Wednesday, May 9, just a few days after the Spring Semester at HPU ended. As with most jobs…the paperwork must be completed first. With all of the HR paperwork completed, my DeaconONE I.D. card designating me as “Temporary Staff” obtained, and my lab keys picked up, I was ready to research! Dr. Colyer and I met to discuss the summer research goals and review safety procedures in the laboratory. It felt good to be back with the friends I made last year here in the Colyer lab – Ben, Theresa and Kathryn.

To start my summer research, I began these first few days by conducting a literature search of journal articles related to the research project. I will be working with a new dye, SQ-BA. We are searching for run buffers around pH 10.0 that will enable separation of simple monosaccharide sugars with the SQ-BA dye for capillary electrophoretic analysis. 

Stay tuned for my updates…I must get back to reading!