Emily Brock, Channel 7Hey Everyone! My name is Emily Brock and I am a rising junior at High Point University with a major in business administration and a double minor in sales and finance. When deciding what I wanted to do with my summer break, I knew I wanted to do some kind of internship that would allow me to explore the type of career field I want to pursue so I could learn  firsthand what I will be doing with my life. So I chose to find a sales internship. I am very intrigued and passionate about business, and I love working with clients, so I find sales to be the path for me. With that decision, I was very lucky to land an internship with WHDH TV.

WHDH TV is NBC’s local station in Boston, Mass. I am from Charlotte, N.C., so I packed my bags and moved north to work for Channel 7! So far I am two weeks into my internship in the Sales department and I love it. I work directly with many of the WHDH AE’s and Sales Assistants. On my first day I was introduced to the station by learning about NBC, how they do sales, and what kind of work my position will entail. I was even given my own desk outside the director of sales office! You know you’re excited about something when you’re thrilled about having your own desk. I was also given some cool insiders –  like the chance to watch full episodes of pilots coming out in 2012 and 2013!

Many of the TV stations in the United States work directly with a program called OSI. OSI keeps track of all your order placements, traffic, billing, finance, etc. I have already slowly begun to work with this program learning the basics, and learning how to place the orders for advertisements sold by our AE’s. I also used the program to work with invoices. One of WHDH’s major clients is Comcast. They send out multiple types of advertisements during the same time period. So I was given the task to update their invoice order for them to overview.

Another job of mine is updating the calendar of programs. At TV stations there are program updates all the time. NBC is currently the only station airing the Olympics, so that is an example of where many changes are constantly being made. The sales department needs to keep updated on what program changes are being made so they are selling the right product. Whenever NBC makes a change to the program schedule, I am responsible for updating the calendar.

This current week I got to sit in on my first sales meeting, which, at first, was very intimidating. Right off the bat they jump into business going over commercials that have been bumped because of program changes, lists of goal clients, current space that needs to be filled, and competitor ratings. The competitor ratings went into great detail going over every major competitors programming, ratings, prices for time slots, and things we are finding that work best for their department. This meeting occurs once a week to keep all of the AE’s, assistants, and managers updated with each other’s progress!

Another task I worked with was making a CMR report book. CMR stands for competitive media report. This book is created once a month and includes net shares, zero shares, our top 100 accounts, market summary, top newspapers, etc. These books were given to all the sales managers, AE’s, and assistants.

So now you are all up to date with my progress! I will be checking in again next week!

Emily Brock