Tyler McCoy AGAIN!!!! The Middle of May – May 17, to be exact – marked the one year anniversary of the start of my internship at MTV. Since my internship ended in August of 2011, I have gone and worked as a hired PA for many events throughout the school year. No longer an unpaid intern, I’ve had the opportunity to work at many major events including the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards (VMA’s) and the 2012 Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards Welcome Party. At the beginning of this month, I was hired again to work two events; one of which was the first major event I ever worked on at MTV during my internship - the MTV Movie Awards. I worked the event on June 3, and it proved to be a very different experience this time around!

Internship, MTV, MTV Movie Awards, Experiential Learning, Event Planning, HPU

MTV Movie Awards

While I previously didn’t know the drill or how things work last year, I’ve used every event to build my knowledge and gain more experience in events so that this time was much more comfortable working with less direction. I directed all of the VIP, MTV Add-Sales and general admission guests into the venue, which was held in the Gibson Theatre at Universal City Walk in C.A. for the 6th year in a row.  Hosting the awards for a second time and receiving countless laughs from the audience as always was Russell Brand.  The Red Carpet was home to everyone from Emma Watson (of the Harry Potter Series & the upcoming “The Perks of Being a Wallflower”), to Josh Hutcherson (“The Hunger Games”) and Kristen Stewart (“Twilight Saga”). Emma Stone offered some wise words after receiving the Trailblazer Award. I also witnessed a once in a lifetime musical performance of the Black Keys featuring Johnny Depp, who won the Generation Award.  The event was star-studded and fan-packed in the neon -lit and decorated theatre.  I did manage to catch a glimpse of the theatre before the guests were let in with enough time to snap a picture!

While I was working, I was also able to get a glimpse of the show as it was going on and got to see Emma Watson walking up to receive her award.  However, DUTY CALLS! During the time the awards ceremony was airing live across the United States and in other countries, I had to do a walk through of the after party which I also work.  It may seem like a small thing, but taking tickets for the after party in the “Express Lane” can be hectic.  It’s essentially the VIP lane… so MTV Executives and any talent attending the show have to go through me first.  The after party was held in a different location along Universal City Walk than it has been held in previous years. Instead of outside on the lawn in front of the Gibson Theatre, the party was held in multiple restaurants and venues down the walk. You wouldn’t believe how many people try to get into this invitation only party without a ticket or by trying to make their awards ceremony ticket look like the after party ticket… and 100% of the time they’re unsuccessful and immediately turned away. On the more fun side, the music was blaring, the infamous MTV Movie Awards pillows (which I had my eye on…) disappeared immediately, and the guests danced and partied the night away! Some celebrity faces in attendance were LMFAO, the cast of Workaholics, and Shailene Woodley (winner of the “Breakthrough Performance” award for her role in “The Descendants”). 

The party went on from 8:30 p.m. until around midnight, and I had been there since 1:30 in the afternoon. So although I was hyped up from all the excitement that comes with the MTV Movie Awards and its after party, it’s safe to say I was exhausted. However, the experience was WELL worth it. I have already updated my resume to include this experience. Hopefully working the same, well known event in entertainment for two years in a row will give me a leg up when I start applying for jobs… next month. Hello real world.