Before I started my internship at SAS, I had never heard of the term “big data.” By definition it means data of such volume, variety or velocity that an organization must move beyond its comfort zone technologically to derive intelligence for effective decisions. To put this in a college example: you have so much music, movies, pictures, documents, etc. on your computer that you are going to need to buy a new computer or hard drive. Businesses are now holding so much data that it is impossible to make sense out of it without analytical software.

Now I am not going to be “that guy” who just writes a marketing pitch about how great SAS software is (which it is). However, I do want to stress how important analytics are in today’s business world. Marketers use analytics every day to evaluate consumer behavior patterns, determine target markets and much more. This week I am starting a project to work on a taxonomy that can help SAS’s Social Media Analytics software find relevant information on its major competitors from, you guessed it, social media. I’ll let you know how it goes next week!