Research Triangle Park, Research, Chemistry, Duke, Chapel HillLast week was really exciting because the other interns and I got tours of the different facilities around Research Triangle Park. We spent a day at each – Duke, N.C. State, and UNC- Chapel Hill – learning about the graduate programs and seeing the different labs and projects that are taking place there. There was such a wide variety of projects, from creating a physical simulation of Earth’s crust to study plate tectonics, to improving the resolution biomedical imaging devices that can be used in cancer and cardiology research.  

Back at work, I finished up creating the water box shield, which I mentioned the other week, in the HALO simulation.  Now the simulated detector is exactly like the real one, and the simulation results can give scientists a more accurate idea of the data HALO will output when its construction is finished and a supernova is detected.

Now I’ll be learning the simulation SNOwGLoBES, which I hope will be less complicated than its full name: SuperNova Observatories with General Long Baseline Simulator. The software calculates the interactions between neutrinos and the materials in a detector, to test a detector’s sensitivities and its responses. Once I figure out how to use it, I’ll design an experiment to measure the neutrino-lead cross section–or interaction rates–for HALO.  This week will definitely be interesting, and I’ll have an update soon on how everything’s coming along!