Editor’s Note: This is the first in a series of entries from our bloggers that offers career and internship advice to the incoming Class of 2016.

Hey Class of 2016! 

First of all, congratulations on making one of the best decisions of your life: joining our High Point family! It is both a scary and exciting time and I’m so happy that you will be on campus in the fall! 

Having an internship is so important for many different reasons. Mine has given me hands on, real world experience that I would not have gotten anywhere else. My experience with Kaye Communications this summer has allowed me to explore the real side to Strategic Communication, Public Relations, and Marketing. It is one thing to be able to think critically in the classroom; it is another to be able to apply what you’ve learned in the real world. Basic things such as how to write a press release and learning what a boiler plate is are all things I’ve learned in my classes and been able to show my expertise in during my internship.

Finding an internship for this summer was somewhat difficult for me. I only moved down to Florida from Connecticut last August and did not know many people. I was prepared to have to fill out application after application, when a family friend said she knew of a communications firm in Boca Raton. She sent the president of the company an email, got a response two minutes later, and we scheduled an interview shortly after. This experience definitely taught me the importance of networking and keeping good contacts. I was prepared to interview, apply and correspond with many companies. 

Some things that I would do to start preparing for an internship is to create a resume. We have an amazing career counseling center, formerly known as the Office of Career and Internship Services, on campus that helped me boost my resume into one that I am proud of to share. Another thing is to keep a list of the classes you are taking that pertain to your field of study. I, for example, have a list of all of the communication and marketing classes I have taken to date and their brief descriptions. Finally, start researching companies NOW that you would want to work for. More times than not, their website will have a “careers” section. See if there are intern opportunities and, even if there aren’t any listed, call or email the company. The worst they can say is no and it will be an experience within itself.

It’s never too early to start thinking about internships. Have an amazing rest of your summer, and I can’t wait to help welcome you to campus in the fall!

Best-

Steph