Editor’s Note: This is the fourth entry in a series from our bloggers that offers career and internship advice to the incoming Class of 2016.

Hey Class of 2016,

I first want to say welcome to High Point University! You made the perfect choice to help build an extraordinary future. Not only are you going to have amazing professors and peers to guide you through the next four years, but you have this awesome Career and Internship Services department that helps you find amazing internships and jobs for your future. Speaking about internships, these are essential to starting your successful future. Not only do they help you get your foot in the door, but they also give you great experience and skills to carry with you to your future career. College teaches and gives you knowledge; internships allow you to apply that knowledge and guides you in the direction you are most passionate about.

Here is a little bit about myself: My name is Angela Tagliareni from Califon, N.J. and I am a rising senior at High Point University, majoring in strategic communication with a minor in political science. Since May, I have been interning with Percepture Inc. in Branchburg, N.J., which is only 30 minutes from my home, which rocks! This is my second internship this year.  I previously interned during my spring semester with 88.5 WFDD National Public Radio at Wake Forest University.

Percepture, my current internship, is a fully integrated public relations agency and marketing firm that is also located in New York City and Chicago. I absolutely love my internship and hard work does pay off. I work under Stephanie Stabulis who is Manager of Client Services and Social Media. My writing skills are improving tremendously with the help of Stephanie. I went from an unpaid intern to a paid employee in just a few short weeks receiving my own business cards, a phone extension and extended employment this fall while completing my senior year.

Internships are your ticket to a successful future. You can never have too many internships, because there will always be new ideas and techniques to use in any field. Knowledge is power and having the hard work and drive to back it up does wonders in the real world. When I officially received my internship in May, the president of Percepture – Thor Harris, said that summer is about three things: making money, learning something new and having fun. I pass these words onto you, Class of 2016.

To me, life is about three things: learning as much as you can, being your definition of successful and having fun. Enjoy your next four years at HPU; they will go fast, so make every moment count. Take advantage of all the great resources HPU has to offer. Talk to your professors and advisors and research the numerous connections they have to offer. The more you network and put yourself out there, the better the outcomes will be, I promise you!

Good luck Class of 2016! You made the first step, becoming an HPU Student. Now it is up to you to rock it!

Enjoy the rest of your summer and I look forward to seeing all your new faces in August!

Best,

Angela