Since Social Media is a huge part of my internship, I spend my downtime researching it. I learned that if it’s something that pertains to your industry, it’s best to stay well-read on the subject! I set up Google Alerts so it would send me the latest news. I’ve found some pretty cool stuff about the Internet’s influence in the business world. It’s helped me grow and engage people on the ChiliPad Facebook fan page. When I first started, the page was at 485 fans and at the time of writing this blog, it’s at 4,317.

With my research, I found a website called JackalopeJobs. It uses websites such as Facebook and LinkedIn to show connections you already have in the industry you’re looking into. Since it’s in its baby stages, it still has some bugs to work out (it kept showing me jobs that were no longer available), but it has potential and it’s something I’ll definitely look into a few months down the road.

I also found out that there was a huge controversy when a student blogger, Cathryn Sloane, claimed social media jobs should only be occupied by people under the age of 25. There was instant backlash and it sparked a huge debate. I don’t support her argument, but it would cut out some competition when it comes to landing a social media job ;) She probably could have avoided that folly if she did more research on the topic. Lesson learned: respect your elders!