Hey there…thanks for checking back in with me! Wow, I am really not sure where the summer has disappeared to. My senior year at High Point University is nearing with much anticipation; nonetheless, this past summer was an extraordinary experience. As you know, I served as an undergraduate research assistant for my second year at Wake Forest University’s Chemistry Department under the direction of Dr. Christa Colyer. For a science major, it is imperative that one has opportunities to conduct research to utilize their talents, skill sets and knowledge in real-life applications. I am thrilled to have been able to conduct research with Dr. Colyer over the past two summers!

My research project this summer focused on determining the optimal binding and separation characteristics of an squarylium-based dye with simple sugars like fructose. First, I found the excitation and emission wavelengths using UV and Fluorescence spectrometers. Second, the wavelengths previously acquired aided me in setting up a method for separation by capillary electrophoresis. Lastly, I conducted various on-column and pre-columns separations using capillary electrophoresis to determine the optimal separation technique.

I cannot begin to express my appreciation to Wake Forest University, Dr. Colyer, High Point University, the HPU Chemistry Department and so many others for giving me the skills and allowing me to have this amazing opportunity. As stated earlier, a research internship is vital to a science major and I can wholeheartedly say that over the past two summers, I have learned a great deal and applied my classroom knowledge. When HPU speaks of experiential learning – this is one great example of how students like myself have the opportunity to work with outstanding faculty and organizations to utilize their classroom knowledge in real-life applications.

I want to end on a quote by famous scientists Albert Einstein, “Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.”