AlinaMy first week at Tambourine (or “Tambo” as the employees call it) has been nothing short of amazing. Not only have I learned a lot about digital marketing and advertising, but I’ve also learned a lot about the company, its employees, and the clients.

As I’ve mentioned in my past post, Tambourine is responsible for the marketing and advertising of travel, tourism and lifestyle clients, such as many different hotels, resorts, and even countries.

An important factor in digital marketing is a concept called SEO, which is search engine optimization. Just to give you a crash course on SEO: it’s the process of affecting the visibility of a website in a search engine. Basically, if you Google “Best Hotels in the Caribbean”, you’re most likely to only focus on the websites at the top of the list rather than going to the 4th page of your yielded results. Most people don’t even make it to the 2nd or 3rd page of results on search engines. There’s 2 ways of getting your webpage to go higher on the list: you can either pay search engines to do this or you can do it organically.

At Tambourine we do this organically by researching which keywords users search for more frequently and then writing blogs to incorporate these keywords so our clients can appear higher on the list. That’s been my main responsibility over the last few days. Some of the topics I’ve written about include: Top 5 Ways to Experience Miami Like a Local, Best Luxury Hotels in the Caribbean, Top 5 Attractions in the Caribbean and more.
Guess you could say I’ve become an expert on Caribbean travel. I haven’t really traveled to many places in that region, but researching and writing about them only motivates me more to work harder to be able to visit one day.

Here's a funny meme that depicts what SEO really is.

Here’s a funny meme that depicts what SEO really is.

What I love about blog writing is that it’s different than writing essays for school assignments that are only going to be seen by your professor’s eyes. Writing blogs for websites are actually going to published. Once the “publish” button is clicked, my blog entries are sent into cyberspace, allowing anyone with internet access to view them. It’s pretty cool if you think about it. My supervisor was so impressed by some of them she’s going to have me pitch it to the Miami Herald and other newspapers, so fingers crossed! For now, I’m just enjoying the island life vicariously through my blogs, as if living in Fort Lauderdale was that bad…

-Alina Garcia