5.25 StillMy first Friday at my NASCAR internship was about as exciting as an internship has ever been for me. One of the managers on the floor owns a Segway and he’s often seen zipping around the office to go to meetings, but mostly just for fun. He’s one of the coolest managers I’ve ever met. It makes me chuckle every time he drives by.

He brought me back to his office for some quick Segway lessons. It’s not like riding a bike or a scooter. It’s similar to riding a surfboard. There’s an odd way to balance on it that doesn’t involve any help from the handlebars. In fact, the best thing you can do is lightly hold on to those to keep from making any sudden movements. To make it go forward or backwards you just lean in the direction you want to go, which is a very unnatural way to move at first. And to turn, you just shift your hands to the left or the right. It wasn’t too hard to get the hang of it.

5.25 MovingAfter my lessons, I made a couple rounds on our squeaky floors. People smiled and waved as I passed by and I even felt some wind in my hair from the moderate speed. I didn’t run over anybody nor did I run into any walls, so I’m considering the endeavor a smashing success. If you notice in the pictures, I was apparently even going fast enough to make some of them blurry. It was definitely the most fun I’ve ever had in an office setting.