5/29/2013: Today, my first assignment was writing headlines and decks (the descriptions of the article that you find under the headline) for a few articles that will be in the September issue of P&C. I was surprised to learn that editors are the ones who write the “heds” and “deks”, and not the writers. I was also surprised to learn that I had to write a whole bunch (not just one) for each article, so that the editor-in-chief could read them all and edit them into the perfect descriptions for the pieces.

I was given the opportunity to sit in on another meeting, this time with just the top two editors. They discussed the plans for the October issue of the magazine, and how the abstract ideas can start becoming actual pieces.

I also got to help pick out items for the school supply photo shoot that will take place next week. We sifted through backpacks, lunchboxes, pens, crayons and more to find the perfect items to put into the story. I never realized how much work goes into choosing things to put into a spread like the back-to-school one! After we had picked all of the things, I had to log them all in a spreadsheet, to help keep track of their name, brand and price for the shoot next week.

Overall, I’d say it was a very productive second day at work! I’m starting to really love P&C, and I can’t wait to go back to work in the morning!

-Olivia