My little corner of the Queen City.

My little corner of the Queen City.

This week’s duties at Inventors Digest I can only describe as varied. I was met Monday morning by two full voicemail boxes that have somehow been lost and unchecked for… well, as far as I can tell, forever. It was my task to listen to both full voicemail boxes and note each message. Apparently, subscribers take this very seriously. When they repeatedly call a phone line for a month with no answer and no return, they tend to get frustrated. I am SO GLAD I am not the one calling these people back. As harsh as it is to be on the other end of that phone call, these peoples’ concerns are genuine – they have every right to be upset! No matter what your profession, EVERYONE is in customer service.

We got a new machine this week! It is a jet-propulsion water machine that can supposedly cut glass and steel… I’m going to need to see that for myself before I report confidently to you. I wish I worked downstairs in the experimentation lab and prototyping department – seems so exciting!

These are the post card reminders I created for direct mail to subscribers, ready to be distributed across the country!

Interny-duties are unavoidable. This week, I was called upon to create, print, cut, label and mail out postcards reminding subscribers that their subscriptions will soon expire. Considering I work at a company honoring inventors, I think it kosher for me to give a big shout out to Bill Gates right now: thank you for email, you big genius, you. Thankfully, 90% of these reminders were done through email, but there is always that little old man in Iowa who is the president of his local inventor’s chapter who isn’t on “the Web” yet. (His granddaughter can help him, if we need her though.)

The almighty Red Pen – slicing and dicing the copy to make sure it is perfectly perfect before going to print.

The May magazine copy came in today from the design department – this is the pivotal climax of every month. My boss and I get the copy, mull over it, make our edits and send it back as quickly as possible in an attempt to get the magazine to press on time. This month’s issue saw improvements; this lets me know I am fulfilling my purpose. I am pleased to announce that Inventors Digest now, thanks to me, uses electronic edits using post-its on Adobe Editor (raise the roof.) Another designer in charge of the magazine left this week, which is putting pressure on the design department to get the magazine done on time and correctly. Next week will see new interns and new designers, and I think we are all looking forward to this!

Bill Gates said success is a lousy teacher. Things are changing at 520 Elliot Street. Roles are shifting and responsibilities are getting shaken up, but everyone is ready for a change. Speaking of change, I am sad to report that the fro-yo machine flavor was changed this week to California tart, or more accurately, sour cream.

Behold, folks. This is what a magazine copy looks like (Consider this a VIP sneak peek at next month’s edition. You’re welcome.)

Humble and quaint, just like an uptown condo.