6.10 BuildingThis blog post is a little but more abstract than most, but I thought I’d give you guys a look at what an impact having an internship can have on you, instead of just showing you all of the actual tasks that internships have.

So, I’m done with my second week of interning at Parent & Child. I got off of work a little bit early on Wednesday, so I explored my office’s neighborhood for a while before I headed home. As I was wandering around SoHo, I started to reflect on how much has happened since I started interning. Though it’s only been two weeks, I feel like I’ve been there for ages! I love it, and I definitely can see myself doing something like this in the future, which is the whole point of having an internship in the first place… to figure out what you want to do in the “real world.”

This past week was filled with more writing, organizing, meetings and getting to know the 6.10 IDins and outs of the magazine business; but it was also filled with some more subtle changes in myself. I was extremely nervous before my first day, but now I walk into the office with confidence. I can stand on a subway car without lurching forward or back every time it stops or starts, I feel sure of my work and I’m starting to fully appreciate my internship. Even though my alarm goes off at an ungodly hour, I’m so excited to get into the office, I don’t even mind waking up early!

I was blessed with this awesome opportunity, and I am so grateful for it. I’m learning a lot, and I’m excited to go back to school and take more journalism classes, and see how I can connect what I learn in the classroom to my current real life experiences.

Internships aren’t just about the tasks that you’re assigned, or the people you meet and the experiences that you’re given. They’re also about growing as a person and as a professional, and I can already see how I’m transforming. It may sound cheesy, but it’s true!

Until next time,
Olivia

6.10 Desk