6.14 ComputerAfter having a couple of days to sleep in and catch up on some rest, it was hard to hear the repetition of my alarm sound off at 4:30 in the morning Tuesday. After having a couple cups of tea infused with caffeine, I was ready to jump-start my day. Once arriving at the office at 5:58 a.m., I was given the task of writing a broadcast piece no longer than 25 seconds about a German man who fell asleep on his computer and accidentally transferred 222 million euros from a retiree’s account. Uncommon, yes, but a fun piece to write about.

Afterward, I was asked to record roughly an hour of the Today Show onto the computer, take any audio I found newsworthy and create a write around. A write around is when a journalist inserts an audio file or sound piece for a story with their information before and after the audio. After watching the Today Show for roughly an hour, I decided to do a write around based on the gallinippers appearing in central and south Florida. Gallinipper is the common name for the Psorophora ciliata, a mega mosquito that is roughly the size of a quarter (Good thing I don’t live in Florida!). The process of recording the Today Show was done by a program on the computer called WinTV2000. The program allows you to select a channel of your choice and record the audio from that channel onto Adobe Audition.

Later that morning, I went to Georgetown with another intern to conduct MOS interviews about peoples’ opinions over whether or not pedestrians crossing the street while distracted by texting or headphones, poses a dangerous problem. The next morning, one of the reporters used our interviews for a piece to be played on-air and complimented us on our efforts. I was happy to know my work had been put to good use and informed listeners.

The newsroom has been buzzing all week about the “derecho” that was moving through the Midwest. Anticipating damage from high winds and rain, updates were played on-air constantly. Luckily, the D.C. area was not hit badly, minus a few downed trees and power outages. In my area, the derecho lasted approximately seven minutes, but the 60 mph winds left many large branches scattered around the area, including onto my driveway.