Olivia FrenchIt’s been a very, very exhilarating week at P&C! As the issue is being wrapped up and shipped to the printer, all of the little tiny details are being put into place. Articles are being edited, photos are being chosen and layouts are being drafted with the utmost care. It’s very exciting to see everything come together! Things that were once just vague ideas are showing up on the page, and I’m proud to say that I’ve been a part in helping everything happen. And it’s also amazing to see how the next issue (for October) is already coming into place as well!

This week, I was assigned my first writing project that will be 100% mine—I get to write the Pets Page for the October issue! I did some research on my topic, wrote a bunch of interview questions and then contacted a few potential expert sources. Once I’m through interviewing the experts, I’ll be able to put my article together and have it ready to be edited. I’m really excited to see my name printed in an actual, real-life magazine, even if I have to wait until October to see it in a hard copy!

I also got to try my hand at editing this week, which was a great experience. It took a lot longer than I thought it would to edit a four-page spread that will be in the August/September issue of P&C. I spent several hours at my computer checking for typos; writing up and editing down product descriptions; coming up with headlines and decks; and making sure that everything flowed nicely and made a cohesive story. Though it was long, it was very cool to feel so official. For the first of what will (hopefully) be many editing sessions in my career, I think it went pretty well! 