EugeniaBefore coming to Europe this summer, I was under the impression that Europe had little to no problems with racial equality. I thought that due to the tragic events of the Holocaust that Europe had learned a very valuable lesson about equality, but I am sad to say I have found out that is not exactly the case.

Here in the Czech Republic, and throughout most parts of Europe, there are groups of people called Roma. They are a people that immigrated from India 600 years ago, they are known as gypsy people. Roma people often refuse to be registered in fear of discrimination, but not registering has not stopped the discrimination.

Czech students I know have expressed in writings, when asked about equality, that Roma people are naturally more aggressive and prone to stealing. They are often seen as untrustworthy and not very bright.

The discrimination can be seen very clearly in where Roma children are permitted to go to school. Often times Roma students who apply to the better schools are turned away and are made to go to special need schools, even though they do not have any mental handicaps. I saw this first hand when I visited the special needs school in my town. There were four Roma girls who were very clever. It blew my mind that these girls were being treated as though they were handicapped when their only disadvantage is the color of their skin and their culture.

Due to Roma students being turned away from the better schools their chances of attending University drop and therefore their ability to get a good high paying job. Denying education on the basis of skin color and ethnic background takes away any chance for the Roma people to change their culture’s past.

This is a common occurrence that does not only happen in the Czech Republic it is happening all over Europe and it needs to be public knowledge for it to change.