6.27 Goddard QuoteRecap: this summer my main internship project is called Hometown Stories and I will be pitching stories about all of the interns to their hometown newspapers. I thought I’d explain my project by detailing the various steps in the project and what I have been able to take away from each one.

Step 1: Gather and organize information about the interns and their projects/departments

So the first step is gathering information about all of the other NASM interns and organizing it. The first thing I did was create a massive Excel spreadsheet to organize all of the information, because there are 38 interns at Air and Space and that’s a lot of information! I had some information to start with like name, email address, department and supervisor, hometown and university, but none of this information tells a story. So I had to get more information straight from the source—the interns themselves. I distributed a form to each intern which they completed and returned to me if they wanted to participate in this project.

What I learned from this step of the project is that everybody has something about them that is unique, inspirational or just plain interesting. As I read over the forms each intern filled out, containing answers to questions about their career goals, their internship experiences thus far and other information about themselves they’d like to see included in an article, I learned a lot about my fellow interns and realized what an amazing group of students the National Air and Space Museum assembled for this internship program. Each intern brings something new and refreshing to the table, and I have the unique opportunity to discover and write about their experiences and dreams. This whole process reminded me of the quotation by Robert Goddard in this picture which is on the wall of the Pioneers of Flight exhibition here at NASM: “It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.”

I just know that this intern class is going to do great things. And I am honored to have a part in their story.