Olivia FrenchThis morning, my organization skills and upper body strength were put to the ultimate test: I had to clean out the P&C toy closet. Since Parent and Child is (surprise) a magazine about kids, we get sent a lot of toys and family-oriented things by various PR people and publicists. The products are then normally stored in the closet or my editor Liz’s office until we use them for a shoot or feature them in the magazine. Already, that’s a lot of stuff, but we are also taking entries for our Gold Star Toy Awards, which requires companies to send us three samples of each toy to be tested. We’ve gotten close to 200 entries, so as you can imagine, the closet and my office were both pretty packed. I somehow managed to fit everything in the closet while making extra room for more entries, but it took me all morning. Ah, the life of an intern. I’m weird in the way that I love cleaning and organizing things though, so I actually enjoyed myself a lot!

This afternoon completely blew my morning out of the water though. I got to attend a press event for a very big toy company to preview one if their new products. I’m not sure how much I’m allowed to talk about it, which is why I’m being vague, but it was a lot of fun, and I got to test the product and talk to a lot of different reps about its various aspects. I went alone, which was a new experience as well. I got introduced as “Olivia French from Scholastic Parent & Child” and seeing how people instantly recognized the magazine’s name was awesome. I was very proud to be representing them. I also felt really official, and most people thought I was an editor, and asked me how long I’ve been working at P&C!