7.1 ArticleI can’t begin to tell you how excited I am to share the information I’m about to share with all of you. And after I share, I am going to give you what will probably sound like a Grammy acceptance speech, so please bear with me. Monday night, my managing editor emailed me to discuss something about my Gildart Jackson interview. I was a little concerned at first because I had no idea what could have been wrong (or right) about the article.

She was emailing to let me know that Gildart Jackson’s publicist had read through the Q&A and really loved it. So much, that he wants to include my interview in Gildart Jackson’s official Press Kit! This means that now, anytime a newspaper, magazine, online news site, or talk show host wants to interview with him, they’ll get to see my interview and use it as a generic overview and research material.

So now, I would like to commence my acceptance speech style thank you’s that are probably going to be borderline cheesy.

I transferred to High Point University in the fall of 2012 as a junior psychology major. I was thrown in with all the freshmen during orientation and I was trying to find my way into a group or organization that would help me fit in. That’s when I stumbled on the Campus Chronicle. After my first article I wrote with absolutely no journalism experience, I fell in love. Two months later, I was officially a journalism and psychology double major.

I have learned and grown so much in the short two years I’ve been a part of the communication department. I’ve met so many great professors and “co-workers” through the Chronicle that have helped me hone and develop my interview and writing skills. Every class I’ve signed up for I’ve learned something new or tried a new style of writing. If it wasn’t for the practical, hands on experience I have been gaining throughout my time at HPU, I don’t think I would have stumbled upon this internship I’m at now.

In just a month of working for The Daily Quirk, I have written in styles I hadn’t yet attempted at HPU, and gained valuable real-world insight, to interview malfunctions and new writing techniques.

I literally owe every ounce of my writing and journalism knowledge to HPU, and for that I am truly thankful. Without the guidance of great professors, other students, and advisors, I don’t think I’d be where I am now. And I owe every ounce of my success with this Gildart Jackson interview to The Daily Quirk. My managing editor has been quite the blessing, helping me through all the bumps that come with the territory of publicists and creating good, “safe” questions.

Overall, my transcript will change in very minor ways to please the publicist. Certain things have been condensed, or words changed to a better one, but that doesn’t matter. The thought that big name newspapers and agencies may see my work is absolutely priceless. So HPU and Daily Quirk, this is my biggest thank you. Without you, I would not be where I am today as a journalist.

So here is my also cheesy moral and lesson that I’ve learned. Hard work truly does pay off. I have worked so hard at everything I’ve done since discovering my hidden passion in journalism. If you think you have found the area of study that truly makes you happy, pour every ounce of your heart and soul into it, and I promise you will not be disappointed.