Olivia FrenchToday was a fun day to be an intern at P&C! I got to do one of my favorite things in the world… arts and crafts. To get ready for a photo shoot later this week, I had to assemble a few toys and craft kits including a friendship bracelet maker and paper bobble heads. It certainly didn’t feel like work, but hey, there’s no such thing as a “typical day at the office” when you work somewhere like Scholastic.

This afternoon, I had the opportunity to attend a metrics meeting. I had no clue what a metrics meeting was when I walked into it, but I quickly figured out that it is a meeting to discuss how much attention the magazine is getting online, and what we can do to improve it. It sounds a little boring, but it was actually fascinating! I was amazed that not only could we see how many people visited the site, and how many total page views we’ve gotten in the past month, but we could also see how people are getting to our site, whether by search engines or links or what-have-you. We also got an overview of how the Facebook, twitter, Pinterest and other social media aspects of the magazine are affecting online popularity. In a world that uses technology more and more every day, I think that this is a very important thing for magazines to focus on, and I’m sure that I’ll attend more meetings like this in my future career, and put what I learned today to good use for many years to come!