7.18 Girl Most LikelyEverything has finally slowed down on the internship front. Now that all my interviews are done, transcripts are written, and articles posted, I’m in this awkward space. I’m used to keeping busy, and after being so busy these past few weeks for it to slow so much this week is weird.

Though I’ve been doing a lot of smaller things for the site recently. I have written several small articles that go along with video clips from movies, as well as full articles to go with movies. I’ve written articles for “Fruitvale Station” and “Girl Most Likely,” plus written smaller articles for “Girl Most Likely.”

7.18 Fruitvale StationMy “Fruitvale Station” article was given a favorite by the movie’s twitter account, which was very cool. I always do my best when I find out my articles are receiving favorites or re-tweets to personally thank the person. Half the time I never hear back, but it makes me feel like I’ve done the right thing when I reach out to say thanks.

In other news, I have an article coming out in the next few weeks about swimming as an exercise, that I really enjoyed writing. I was a swimmer for 15 years and it was basically all I lived for throughout high school, so getting to combine my knowledge of the sport and it’s benefits with the research I conducted was exciting.

On top of all this, I discovered that there is another HPU student writing for The Daily Quirk. I had no idea, and I’ve had classes with her in the past so it was kind of interesting to see a familiar face (so to speak) on the intern list.

I know it might seem like I’ve been keeping busy, but that’s all from last week! This week I have two articles I’m working on that aren’t due until mid-August. My plan to keep myself constantly working? Finish my articles as soon as possible and then start working on new ones soon after.

Now we are on to some good news I received. On Friday, I had volunteered for an article and my managing editor emailed me back saying that we needed to have a heart to heart. My initial reaction was that I had done something wrong, because I had been very eager from the beginning to volunteer and write. I had hoped I hadn’t come off too eager to write.

7.18 ResumeShe told me she was thankful for my eagerness to write and was happy with the quality of my writing. After that, she asked me to join their team as a full time blogger for The Daily Quirk! I could not have been more excited. I actually called my mom and fiancé and could barely speak. This meant that I’d have my first real job as a journalist. I could not be more thrilled for this opportunity! Having this kind of job now means, at least for now, I don’t have to stress about finding another job immediately for after graduation… BUT! I will be searching for another, more full time position after graduation this year.

All in all, this has been such an amazing experience, and I can’t wait to continue chronicling my unique experience with The Daily Quirk.

If you want to read more of the “Fruitvale Station” article, click here: http://thedailyquirk.com/2013/07/12/fruitvale-station/.

To read more and get an exclusive first look at “Girl Most Likely” you can click here: http://thedailyquirk.com/2013/07/13/clips-girl-most-likely/.