1570As my final week of interning started, I got a taste of what it’s like to be an actual employee of a magazine… My boss is on vacation for two days, so I was completely in charge of myself today. My editor sent me a list of things that she wanted me to get done in the two days that she’s gone, but other than that, I was left to my own devices, like any other employee is every day. It was a great way to start wrapping up my internship, because Liz (my editor) wasn’t there to answer any of my questions so I really had to put everything I’ve learned this summer to the test. It was cool, because I felt like a real, full-time employee, and I was proud that I was able to finish everything, and have time to spare! I worked more on organizing and reviewing tester forms for our Gold Star Toy Awards, selected products and contacted PR people for an upcoming spread and wrote invoices for writers. It doesn’t sound like too much, but there was a lot that went into each project and I was kept busy all day!

I have to say though, I really missed my editor. Our desks are right next to each other, and I missed being able to talk to her about what I did this weekend, and share the funny comments that some of our toy testers put on their Gold Star Toy evaluations. Sure, she’s my boss, but we’ve also become friends this summer, and having her not there made me really realize it. I’m definitely going to miss the entire P&C staff, and it makes me so sad to realize I now only have two days left with Scholastic. However, I absolutely cannot wait to get back to HPU, so it all balances out in the end. Wednesday will be hard though, when I pack up my bag and board the subway (and then the bus to NJ) for the last time this summer.