8.17 groupToday, it is with great sadness to say that I have walked through the front doors of Wawa for the last time of my internship. For the past 9 weeks I have gotten to take part in a truly once-in-a-lifetime experience with a company whose values and business plan is one of a kind. The hands-on experience and knowledge gained through the internship will be beneficial to me for the course of my career. This internship set in stone the foundation of my career and I plan to use techniques and advice gained from the past nine weeks with future employers.

For the past nine weeks, I have spent a total of 360 hours at Wawa, beginning my day at 8:30AM and ending it around 4:30PM. The drive to Media, PA is about 1 hour without any traffic. So, I have had to wake up at 6AM for the past nine weeks to drive an hour for an 8-hour work day to turn around and drive another hour back home. The third day of my internship, I totaled my car on the way into work, still managing to make sure that I came to work instead of taking the day off. Each week, I went through about 30 gallons of gas which at an average of $3.45 per gallon, racks up to a hefty amount just in expenses excluding the $5.00 daily toll to cross the bridge. But in the end was it all worth it? Yes. It was the best experience I have ever had. I cannot begin to thank Wawa and the Risk Management team enough for the opportunity they gave me and for the chance to sit in on important meetings and complete lengthy tasks. Wawa is truly one of the best companies out there: They care about their customers and certainly care about their associates. Even after only nine weeks, I felt like Wawa has become my family away from home.

For anyone reading who has not had at least one internship during their college tenure, I urge you to network to the best of your ability to find a company to intern with. Of course I would say to apply with Wawa for any open internship opportunities, but any experience with any company will be worthwhile in the long run. An internship is a chance for you to not only make a name for yourself but also for you to gain hands on experience in a field relatively similar to your intended degree. Through Wawa, I got to see what it was like to work in a Risk Management department, working with Risk Finance analysts and attending weekly strategic business meetings. Experience is the greatest teacher in the world and we must jump on any opportunities presented before us.