Since my last update…I have been finishing up my literature search of journal articles to find compatible buffer systems with the SQ-BA (squarylium cyanine dye with a boronic acid functional group) dye for separation of simple sugars via capillary electrophoresis. I have been using a internet-based database called Web of Science to search for keywords like: capillary electrophoresis, monosaccharide, glycoprotein, and fluorescence. After reading probably 10-12 articles, I have found about 4-5 articles that are relevant, summarizing the data in one chart.
I met with Dr. Colyer today to discuss my literature search findings. We have decided to use a sodium phosphate buffer over others like sodium acetate, MOPS, or borate. When choosing a buffer, one will want to choose a pH +/- 1.0 unit from its pKa (This I learned in Quantitative Analysis this past fall semester!). With the buffer chosen, it was time for me to make some calculations – concentration of sodium phosphate in the buffer to 50 mM, SQ-BA dye stock to 1.0×10-3 M, and fructose sugar stock to 10 mM. A simple General Chemistry equation of M1V1=M2V2 and unit conversions were used (Thank goodness for those practice problems in Gen. Chem to prepare me for research!)
Hopefully tomorrow I will begin making my dye and sugar stock solutions along with my phosphate buffer. Thursday I will be joining the lab group at a chromatography conference, so make sure to check back to get a scoop on my experience there!