- Development and implementation of an individualized learning action plan
- Encouragement of self-determination and self-advocacy
- Individual instruction on academic skills
- Assistance in establishing relationships with instructors and advisors
- Guidance in utilizing and accessing assistance from Disability Support
Joining the Program
The program is open to any High Point University student with a desire to cultivate their academic abilities. Incoming freshman should be enrolled in the university before submitting an application to the Learning Excellence Program. Current students may apply at any time for the following semester. The program has a limit on how many students it can serve each semester.
The program fee is $5000 per semester. The program fee for Summer is $1000 per course, or $1500 during Summer Experience.
Incoming freshmen enrolling in Learning Excellence are strongly recommended to attend Summer Experience and take ADV 1101 Foundations for Academic Success. Incoming freshmen who have not taken ADV 1101 will be required to do so upon admittance into the Learning Excellence Program.
- Weekly Meetings: Students will meet with a Learning Specialist on a weekly basis to review academic progress and evaluate and develop academic skills. An individualized learning action plan is created at the start of the semester to address a student’s particular learning needs and goals.
- Tutoring: Students will meet with professional tutors exclusive to the Learning Excellence Program for reading, writing and math support. They will also meet with course specific peer tutors, provided by Academic Services. All tutors submit reports to the Learning Specialist.
- Study Hall: Students will complete at least 10 hours of studying time per week in study hall. Study hall hours are tracked electronically each week. An “Objective-based Study Hall” may be included as part of the study hall component.