Chair – Department of Music/Director of Choral Activities
High Point University
Hayworth Fine Arts Center 109
DR. MARC ASHLEY FOSTER was recently named Chair of the Department of Music and Director of Choral Activities at HPU. Dr. Foster has taught at the University of Texas at Arlington in Arlington, Texas and Millsaps College in Jackson, Mississippi and comes to High Point after serving as the Director of Worship Arts Ministries at Galloway Memorial United Methodist Church in Jackson, Mississippi and as the Artistic Director of the Mississippi Chorus.
Dr. Foster received a Doctor of Music Arts degree (DMA) in Choral Conducting from The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, a Master of Sacred Music degree (MSM) from Perkins School of Theology at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas, and the Bachelor of Music Education degree (BM Ed) in Choral Conducting and Voice from The University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
Dr. Foster has served as the Music in Worship Chair for the Mississippi chapter of the American Choral Directors Association for two years. His choirs have appeared at such venues as the Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church of South Georgia, the dedication service for the Mississippi United Methodist Bishop, Hope Morgan Ward, and the Annual Conferences of the Mississippi United Methodist Church in June of 2006 and June, 2008. His choirs have performed at Carnegie Hall in New York City, NY, at York Minster Cathedral in York, England, and most recently toured throughout Hungary, the Czech Republic, and Austria. His youth choirs have toured extensively throughout the United States.
Dr. Foster is a founding member of the Mississippi Vocal Arts Ensemble and as a tenor soloist is a sought after recitalist. Recent engagements include:
- Vaughan Williams Serenade to Music with the MS Symphony,
- J.S. Bach Magnificat with the Meister Singers of Hattiesburg, Mississippi,
- Saint Saens Christmas Oratorio at Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in Vicksburg (MS) and Episcopal Church of the Creator in Clinton (MS),
- Brahms’ Liebeslieder Waltzes at St. Phillips Episcopal Church in Jackson (MS),
- Haydn’s Creation, Carl Orff’s Carmina Burana, and Handel’s Messiah with the Mississippi Chorus and Orchestra,
- Missa Luba with the Piedmont Chamber Singers (NC), Millsaps College (MS), Brevard College (NC), and Southern Methodist University (TX),
- Mozart’s Vespers at First Presbyterian Church in High Point (NC),
- Mozart’s Mass in C Major at First United Methodist Church in Frisco (TX), and at St Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church Dallas (TX),
- Mozart’s Grand Mass in C Minor at First United Methodist Church in Fort Worth (TX), Vaughan Williams’ Hodie at St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church in Dallas (TX).
Dr. Foster is the proud father of two very active young boys, Michael and Pearson, and is married to Rev. Michelle Foster, an ordained Deacon in the United Methodist Church and a member of the Western North Carolina Conference, serving as Associate Pastor at Covenant Church United Methodist in High Point.