Students who would like to receive educational accommodations while enrolled at High Point University must self-identify as a student with a disability by formally registering with the Office of Accessibility Resources and Services (OARS). Registration and documentation are required for all requested accommodations.
Students with approved academic accommodations must request their accommodations at the beginning of each semester. Housing and ESA accommodations must be renewed through OARS annually. Accommodations are NOT retroactive. Therefore, it is important for students to be proactive by requesting their accommodations at the beginning of each semester and/or academic school year.
1. Complete the OARS COMPASS Registration. Please state requested accommodations and provide a summary of previous accommodations. This form authorizes the OARS Staff to release disability-related information to campus officials as necessary. PLEASE NOTE: when applying for accommodations you will be asked for your HPU email and password to access the site.
2. Provide appropriate documentation. Click HERE for the Academic Accommodation Documentation Criteria. Diagnostic documentation must be relevant to the diagnosed disability and may include:
3. OARS Accessibility Support Specialists will review each request to determine eligibility for appropriate accommodations and notify students via their HPU email.
– Note –
Has it been a few weeks and you feel like your accommodations need some adjustments? No problem! Schedule a meeting with a member of our OARS team and we are happy to sit down and discuss any changes that need to be made.
1. Complete the OARS COMPASS Registration (if not yet registered with OARS).
2. Complete the Additional or Renew Accommodation Request located on the left side of the page (if already registered with OARS).
3. Submit a Request for Accessible Housing form completed by a qualified medical or mental health professional.**
4. Meet with an Accessibility Specialist to discuss the request.
– NOTE –
Each situation is reviewed, case-by-case, based on documentation of a disability and functional limitations provided to OARS. Requests and documentation should be submitted no later than February 1st for returning students and April 1st for incoming students each year. If a housing accommodation is approved, accessible housing will ensure your need is met, but it does not guarantee a specific residence hall or room within a residence hall. Students should contact the Housing Office in the Office of Student Life to inquire about housing assignments.
** A qualified medical professional, for our purposes, is defined as a non-family member whose professional training qualifies them to diagnose and treat the impairments associated with the student’s disability. The student must either be a current patient of the professional or have a documented established history of treatment. Each question on the required forms must be completed by the medical professional.**
Dietary Needs – please contact the Hospitality Team at email@example.com
1. Go to the OARS COMPASS Portal and log in using your HPU username and password.
2. Complete the online registration (if not yet registered with OARS).
3. Complete the Additional or Renew Accommodation Request located on the left side of the page (if already registered with OARS).
4. Submit a completed Request ESA Documentation form signed by a qualified medical or mental health professional.
5. Submit up-to-date veterinary records of your animal’s immunizations, flea and tick treatments, and/or wellness visit.
6. Complete an In Case of Emergency (ICE) Removal Form through the OARS COMPASS portal. This will require the Resident to identify an off-campus person who is not a current HPU student who will take possession of the animal if the animal must be excluded from campus under Section VI of the ESA Policy.
7. Review and sign the Rules and Responsibilities of a Resident with an Approved Emotional Support Animal through the OARS COMPASS portal.
8. An Accessibility Specialist will review the request and reach out for a follow-up appointment through your HPU email.
9. Pick up an identification tag and door decal for the ESA (optional).
**All documentation should be uploaded to the OARS COMPASS Portal**