Office of Accessibility Resources and Services

Housing Accommodations

Housing accommodation requests are made through the Office of Accessibility Resources and Services.  Accommodation requests are considered for students with a physical or mental impairmentwhich substantially limits one or more major life activities which may include, but is not limited to, caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, seeing, hearing, eating, sleeping, walking, standing, lifting, bending, speaking, breathing, learning, reading, concentrating, thinking, communicating, and working.

Documentation Guidelines:

Documentation is required for any type of requested accommodation.  Documentation for housing accommodations or an Emotional Support Animal, must be from a qualified medical professional.  Qualified medical professional, for our purposes, is defined as a non-family member whose professional training qualifies them to diagnose and treat the impairments associated with the student’s disability. The student must either be a current patient of the professional who completes the documents or have an established history of treatment that is documented.  Each question on the required forms must be completed by the medical professional.  We will not accept notes or letters in lieu of the provided documents.

The diagnosis of a medical condition in and of itself does not automatically qualify one for housing accommodations.In determining the reasonableness of an accommodation, the Office of Accessibility Resources and Services may not grant a specific request by a student if the Office of Accessibility Resources and Services determines that there is an equally effective alternative available or if it would impose an undue administrative or financial burden on the University.  Appropriate options may be suggested as alternatives to the requested accommodations.  For example, a single room may not be approved if the accommodation can be provided in another appropriate way.  Requests for single rooms due to the need for a quieter, distraction-reduced study space often can be met by the use of the numerous study sites available on the HPU campus.

Students approved for accommodations under the ADA will be given housing assignments by the Office of Student Life (OSL).   Students approved for housing accommodations will not incur additional expenses above the “standard” specified room rate unless the student elects to seek a different housing tier than the one assigned by OSL.  If the student elects to seek a different housing tier than the one assigned by OSL, the student will be placed in the regular housing lottery process and will be responsible for paying any additional charges associated with that housing tier.  Personal attendants living with a student with a disability will be charged for housing based on the specified room rate.

All High Point University housing areas are a part of the University’s overall residential community. University transportation ( and security ( are equally accessible in all areas of campus.



To Request Housing Accommodations:

1.     Complete the Housing Accommodation Request form. PLEASE NOTE- if you are applying for accommodations while not on High Point University internet, you will be asked for your HPU email and password to access the site.

2.     Submit a completed Request for Medical Documentation for Accessible Housing form signed by a qualified medical professional.

3.    Interview with Accessibility Services Specialist (phone interviews available over the summer months).

Each situation is reviewed, case-by-case, based on disability documentation provided to the Office of Accessibility Resources and Services.  Requests and documentation must be received no later than February 1st for continuing students and April 1st for incoming students each year.

Dietary Needs – please contact the Hospitality Team at:


Approved requests for ADA housing accommodations are sent to the Office of Student Life for specific room assignments.  Students will receive a written notice of disposition from Accessibility Services within (3) three weeks after the request deadline.  Disposition of requests received past the deadline will be notified within (3) weeks.  Accommodation requests approved past the annual deadline may be placed on a waiting list for the appropriate housing availability.



Service dogs which are required because of a disability and individually trained to perform specific tasks or work are welcome on the High Point University campus and are expected to be under the handler’s control at all times.

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with a mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties.  Service animals are working animals, not pets.  The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability.  Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. ( Bulletin July, 2011)

Emotional Support Animal requests should be made using the Housing Accommodations process. Click here for the documentation form which must be completed by a doctor or licensed mental health professional that states the need for the Emotional Support Animal.


Students wishing to appeal Accessibility Services decisions may contact:

Jodeci Page

Administrative Assistant, Smith Library, (336) 841-9026



If an appeal is to be made, HPU expects the students to be a self-advocate and the student must be the one to appeal.