Office of International Student Services

Obtaining a Social Security Number

International students who want to work while studying in the US may work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year at a job ON CAMPUS. This includes employment by affiliate partners located on campus such as Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Aramark, or Budd Services.

All students who plan to work must obtain a Social Security Number.

How to Proceed:

You must first get a job offer. Check the job listings by going to the Career Center Portal and/or talk with professors or staff about possibilities for jobs. Once you have been offered a position, do the following:

1. Get a letter authorizing that you have a campus job from the person who will be supervising your employment. The letter must be on High Point University letterhead, it must describe the type of work that you will be doing, and it must be signed by your supervisor.

2.  Get a letter from the one of the Designated School Officials:

Marjorie Church, DSO — all degree-seeking students

Chris Ferguson, DSO — exchange students

Submit your request to the DSO for a letter of authorization of employment via email, including the following information:

Job title

Supervisor’s name

Supervisor’s title

Starting date of employment

When the letter is ready to be picked up you will be notified by email.

3.  Print and fill out the Application

2.  Collect the following documents:  Passport, Visa, I-20, and I-94 (see below), and one Photo ID that is at least one year old (if your passport picture is at least one year old it will be sufficient).

3.  Arrange for transportation to the Social Security Administration office, if needed.  This can be done through the Office of International Student Services (Degree-seeking students) or the Office of Study Abroad (Exchange Students).

Degree-seeking students should email to make arrangements.

Find more information from the Social Security Administration concerning International Students Here.


You will need to take ALL of the following items to the Social Security Administration office:

  • Letter from on-campus supervisor (step 2)
  • Letter from DSO (step 3)
  • Application from SSA, which can be found online (see above).
  • I-94 Admission Number – Retrieve at
  • I-20
  • Valid passport
  • Visa
  • One Photo ID that is at least one year old 






The High Point Admissions Office is Located in Wrenn Hall.

Tours are available 7 days a week. Please contact us to schedule your visit.

(800) 345-6993
(336) 841-9216
(336) 888-6382 (fax)

International Students at HPU

HPU: An International Perspective

International Perspective of HPU