Teaching That Goes Beyond the Classroom
Most political science majors and minors complement their formal coursework and in-class simulations with hands-on experience gained from internships, working for the university’s Survey Research Center, or becoming deeply involved in one or more of the many university clubs and activities that focus on political issues. Our students are active in the College Democrats, the College Republicans, Model United Nations, Political Science Club, the Pre-law club, as well as various other groups and honors fraternities; these student-run organizations do everything from taking students to national political conventions to hosting political activists for campus-wide events and forums.
While rigorous, our curriculum also is intentionally flexible: electives make up half of the political science major’s required hours, and manageable requirements readily permit students to complement their degrees with a second major, foreign study, and/or internships with political campaigns, interest groups, or elected officials. In recent terms, our students in our department have studied abroad in Austria, Australia, Peru, Ecuador, Italy, Wales, England, Spain, Mexico, China, and Scotland.
Many political science majors complete some of their major’s requirements with credit-bearing internships. The department’s faculty can assist students in finding suitable placements, or majors can apply to go to Washington, DC through High Point University’s affiliate program with the Washington Center. In recent years, students have worked with:
- Various political campaigns, including: the U.S. Senate campaigns of Cal Cunningham and Kay Hagan, Barack Obama for President, and Elisabeth Mostinger for Congress
- Numerous think-tanks, including: The Center for Terrorism, the John Locke Foundation, and The Heritage Foundation (Washington, DC)
- US Senators Scott Brown, Richard Burr, Bob Corker, Byron Dorgan, Kay Hagan and Joseph Lieberman
- US Congressmen Howard Coble, Patrick McHenry and Richard Hudson
- The US Embassy in Belfast
- Numerous state-level political officials, including the governors of Delaware, Maryland and North Carolina
- A wide range of interest, media, lobby, and commercial organizations, including: The Minority and Ethnic Women’s Network, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, The High Point Chamber of Commerce, Emily’s List, The Governor of Maryland, JP Morgan Financial, the American Red Cross, North Carolinians Against Gun Violence, Democracy NC and Glenn Beck/Mercury Radio Arts