Office of the University Registrar

Before you take a course away

To take courses at a college/university other than High Point University, please complete the Transient Study Permission Request Form.

Additionally, you will need to submit the specific course description(s) for the course(s) you want to take. Partial submissions will not be accepted.

***The following departments will not accept online courses from another college/university for transfer: Math, History, Modern Foreign Language***
*Please note that the Chemistry dept. will not accept Organic II/lab from UNC-Greensboro or community colleges.*

After you have completed the form and have the course descriptions printed out, please submit them to Mrs. Ashley Darr,, in the Office of the University Registrar, Roberts Hall, Suite 101.

Eligibility: See the latest High Point University Undergraduate Bulletin for policies regarding “Transfer Credit and Study at Other Institutions” and repeating courses. Dual enrollment is not permitted.

To receive credit for work completed at another institution, the student must be in good academic standing (2.0 or higher) and the Office of the University Registrar must approve in advance the institution selected and the courses to be taken.

***Applications for permission to take course work at another institution must be presented to the Office of the University Registrar by the end of the semester. (For example: summer course work away- the application must be submitted before the end of the spring term.)

Upon completion of this work, the student is responsible for having official transcripts sent to the Office of the University Registrar.

No credit will be granted for coursework taken at another institution unless a grade of a C or better has been earned; a C- is not accepted.  Although credit hours earned in summer school elsewhere count toward graduation, these credits are not used in the calculation of the GPA, except courses at member institutions of the Greater Greensboro Consortium.

Most courses at High Point University carry a value of four credits. Three-credit courses taken at another college/university can be accepted by the Office of the University Registrar. However, in accordance with the High Point University policy on awarding of academic credit, a three-credit class from another institution will be awarded only three credits at High Point University. The Office of the University Registrar determines the transferability of a course after consultation with the appropriate department chair/dean.

  • Credit must be earned on the campus of a regionally accredited institution.
  • Courses for which you earned a grade (except W/withdraw) at High Point University may not be repeated at another institution.
***Winter Term Course Information***
The course must be at least 3 weeks in length and the dates should not overlap HPU's course schedule more than 2 days.


Upon completion of approved classes from another college/university, the official transcript should be mailed to:
High Point University
Office of the University Registrar, Drawer #38
One University Parkway
High Point, NC 27268


Please contact Ashley Darr, Asst. Registrar, should have any questions/concerns.
Office Phone: 336-841-9178

Fax: 336-888-6365


Our office is located on the first floor of Roberts Hall.

Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Monday-Friday)

Phone: 336-841-9029
Fax: (336) 888-6365