Rev. Preston Davis
Minister to the University
firstname.lastname@example.org | 336-841-9241
B.A. Davidson College
M.Div. Union Theological Seminary in New York City
Rev. Preston Davis is the Minister to High Point University. He leads the religious and spiritual life of the University by shaping the vision and culture for Christian spiritual formation and interfaith dialogue and service. Rev. Davis, an ordained Elder in the United Methodist Church (UMC) in the Western North Carolina Conference, has pastored Christian communities in Decatur, Georgia, New York City, and western North Carolina.
In addition to serving the student body, faculty and staff as pastor, Rev. Davis regularly preaches in the greater Piedmont Triad. His writing has been published in Charlotte magazine, the Charlotte Observer, Religion Dispatches, Union in Dialogue, and The Term.
Recognitions and Honors:
- 2016 recipient of the Francis Asbury award by the United Methodist General Board of Higher Education and Ministry.
- 2016 High Point University Baccalaureate Keynote Speaker.
- 2015 High Point University recognized as Interfaith Rookie of the Year by the Interfaith Youth Core.
- 2015 Alumni Profile, Union Network: The Magazine of Union Theological Seminary
- 2014 Millennial Leader recognition by Union Theological Seminary.
- 2011 Julius Thomas Hansen Memorial award from Union Theological Seminary for unique ability in relating philosophy, theology, and ethics to problems in contemporary society.
Articles, Sermons, and other Writing:
- “Souls Under Construction,” Infinite Space, 2018.
- “Word from the Pastor,” Infinite Space, 2017.
- “Chaplaincy: simplicity on the far side of complexity,” The Term, 2016.
- “I Wish I Knew How to be Free,” 2016 High Point University Baccalaureate Message.
- “A Faith Legacy for Liberal Arts Education,” High Point University Essays, 2015.
- “Doing Justice; Loving Mercy; Walking Humbly with God: A Strategic Plan for the Chapel and Religious Life Office,” High Point University, 2014.
- “Interview with Rev. Preston A. Davis,” High Point University News release, 2013.
- “Soccer and the Sublime in the Shadow of Apartheid,” Religion Dispatches, 2010.
- “Wheat and the Chaff,” Union:InDialogue.
- “Social Ethics in the Making,” review of Social Ethics in the Making, by Gary Dorrien, Fellowship magazine, Fall 2010.
- “Buddhist Peace Fellowship Connected: Sarah Weinstraub,” Fellowship magazine, Summer 2010.
- “Finding Voice,” Union Now, Spring 2010.
- “Preaching Re-Embodied,” Union Now, Spring 2010.
- “The Art of Compassion: Institute of Art, Religion, and Social Justice Launch,” Union Now, Spring 2010
- “Remembering Howard Zinn,” Fellowship magazine, Spring 2010.
- “William ‘Bill’ Southerland,” Fellowship magazine, Spring 2010.
- “La’Onf: The Making of an Iraqi Nonviolence Movement,” Fellowship magazine, Winter 2010.
- “Freefall,” review of Freefall, by Joseph Stiglitz, Fellowship magazine, Summer 2010.
- “How Much is a (Progressive) Pastor Worth?,” Religion Dispatches, 2009.
- “Racing Ahead,” Charlotte magazine, January 2009.
- “A Post-Election Prayer in New York City,” Charlotte magazine, November 7, 2008.
- “Riding for Life,” Charlotte magazine, July 2008.
- “Starving Charities,” Charlotte magazine, July 2008.
- “Registering Voters in Obamaland,” Charlotte magazine online, April 8, 2008.
- The Davidson Basketball Diary Series, Charlotte magazine online, March 2008.
- “Driven: The History and Future of Davidson Golf,” Davidson Journal, Spring 2007.
- “Wildcat at the World Cup: Correspondents from Germany, World Cup 2006,” Official World Cup Blog for the Charlotte Observer, Summer 2006.