Each year High Point University students volunteer over 100,000 hours in our community. The HPU SERVES Showcase is the students’ chance to put a face on this service by creating vibrant posters that illustrate the service they have done and give them a space to reflect on it. At the heart of a liberal arts education is a democratic education. The Serves Showcase gives students a chance to celebrate and refine their commitment to using the skills and knowledge developed at HPU to become better citizens. All members of the High Point community are invited to attend. We will join together in a night filled with music, refreshments, awards, and testaments to the good work we have accomplished!
All HPU students and groups are invited to create a poster to share the service they have done over the past academic year at the HPU SERVES Showcase. For instructions on how to create a poster, click here: SERVES 2017 Showcase Poster Instructions. All students or groups who want their poster considered for an award must email a PDF file of the final poster to James Porzenski (email@example.com) by April 1st. All students or groups who create a poster should be prepared to come at 6:00 to set up, and they should have a two minute summary of their project prepared to tell people who come to view the poster.
Each year the SGA and SL Program work together to offer a number of awards honoring exceptional student service. Students who submit their poster by April 1st can elect for it to be considered for up to two of the following awards:
1) Five Excellence in Service Awards (includes quality of poster and service project): $50 each
2) Excellence in Youth Development: $100
3) Excellence in Promoting Food Security (honors a project that promotes food security): $100
4) Sustainability Award (honors a project that can be sustained over the long-run): $100
5) Highest Caliber of Reflection: $200
6) Most Innovative Service Project (looks for a new or different project): $200
7) Best Student Group Project: $300
8) Best Individual Student Driven Project: $300
And together the SGA and Service Learning Program present one community partner with an award to recognize and thank them for the work they have done in the past year. Past recipients of this award include West End Ministries, the Macedonia Family Resource Center, YWCA, and Open Door Ministries.
Community Partner of the Year: $1,000