Planning for a semester or summer abroad may feel like a daunting task. You may know already that you’re going to study abroad or you may be considering whether studying abroad is something available to you and you’re here just looking for more information. What now? How do you find more information? How do you get started? The Office of Study Abroad provides the following:
- Individualized Advising. The first step in planning any study abroad experience is to meet with a study abroad advisor. In a short, 30-minute appointment, we’ll give you important information you need to know to consider, research, and begin planning for a term abroad. In this appointment, you’ll be able to ask questions and will walk away with an overview of the study abroad planning process. Whether you are thinking of an HPU program or an unaffiliated (non-HPU) program, every student must meet with a study abroad advisor before departing campus.
- Study Abroad Fair. Every fall and spring, the Office of Study Abroad hosts a study abroad fair to showcase HPU’s partnerships around the globe. Your study abroad advisors will be available to answer questions, and for many programs, students who have studied abroad are there to talk about their experiences. Additionally, Study Abroad staff will be scheduling appointments for you to meet individually with a study abroad advisor to look further into what opportunities may best meet your needs and goals.The August fair also showcases that year’s Global Experience programs. You’ll be able to see what opportunities are available and speak with the faculty who will be teaching the courses and leading the travel.
- International Ambassadors. Our International Ambassadors are HPU students who have returned from a study abroad experience. They are available to answer questions at many Study Abroad events and even hold “Coffee Hours” with students who are curious about their experience living and studying abroad. If you would like to meet one-on-one with an International Ambassador for a Coffee Hour, contact your study abroad advisor.
- Web Resources. A lot information is available on the Study Abroad website. Review the information in the Why Study Abroad? and Where Can I Study Abroad for My Major? pages. You also can read about other HPU students’ experiences in the Student Experiences section. A list of Frequently Asked Questions will answer many questions you and your family have.
We suggest that you begin planning your study abroad program about a year before you plan to depart. Talk with your academic advisor to determine how and when study abroad best fits in your schedule. Keep in mind that courses in some majors must be completed at HPU, and some courses are available only during certain semesters.
To schedule an appointment with a study abroad advisor, contact the Office of Study Abroad by calling (336) 841-9280 or stop by the Office in Slane 324.
At High Point University, our emphasis on global perspectives is designed to provide students with opportunities to enhance their international awareness and to develop their cross-cultural communication skills. Study abroad is strongly encouraged as a part of this emphasis on global studies. With a variety of extraordinary options at some of the most prestigious universities in the world, students at High Point University are encouraged to study abroad as early as the summer after their freshman year.
Employers are looking for more than just a degree; they want well-rounded individuals who have familiarity with diverse cultures, special skills, and knowledge of the world around them. To gain a competitive edge in our global community, it is essential to gain understanding and expertise through first-hand experience. Some of the benefits of studying abroad include:
- Get outside your comfort zone and see a different perspective
- Enhance your time-management, budgeting and independent travel abilities
- Gain independence & self-confidence
- Become immersed in a different culture and learn to observe and adapt
- Complete courses toward your major, or general education requirements
- Improve your foreign language skills
- Develop inter-cultural sensitivity
- Studying abroad often solidifies a students career goals and interests