In addition to the Global Experience study programs, HPU students have the option to study abroad during the summer months on programs offered by some of our exchange partnerships.
In many ways, the process for applying to and participating in a summer study abroad program is similar to a semester program. Our study abroad advisors still need to meet with all students before they apply to the program of their choice. There are several important things you’ll need to know including the following:
- Does HPU accept credits from the program? Which institution issues the transcript? How is that institution accredited?
- How will credits earned at the institution apply towards my degree?
- How and to whom will payments be made?
- What documentation is required from HPU?
To begin the process, contact the Office of Study Abroad at (336) 841-9280 to schedule an appointment.
Credit for Study Abroad
For High Point University to recognize the credits you complete abroad, the university must be accredited to the standards required by HPU and you must earn at least a grade equivalent to a C in the U.S. HPU will not accept credit for courses with grades of C– or below. Grades for all courses earned abroad are recorded on the international transcript. Credits are received by HPU as transfer credits, which means only the credit is reflected on your transcript, not the letter grade. Your HPU grade point average will not be impacted by your study abroad courses.
Satisfying the HPU Global Studies Requirement
While no additional credit is awarded simply for studying abroad, your Global Studies requirement will be waived automatically provided you have completed an academic course of study (whether affiliated, unaffiliated, or Global Experience) outside of the U.S. lasting at least four (4) weeks, conducted through an accredited institution, and bearing at least three (3) credits recognized by High Point University.
HPU Summer Study Abroad Partnerships
Bond University – Robina, Australia
*Note: Bond University is not accepting exchange applications for the 2017/2018 academic year
RMIT – Melbourne, Australia
University of Graz – Graz, Austria
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso (PUCV) – Valparaíso, Chile
Hangzhou Normal University – Hangzhou, China
Karlshochschule International University – Karlsruhe, Germany
Lingnan University – Hong Kong, China
Akita International University – Akita, Japan
Tilburg University – Tilburg, Netherlands
Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola – Cusco, Peru
Korea University – Seoul, South Korea
Universidad Nebrija – Madrid, Spain
Universidad Pontificia Comillas – Madrid, Spain
Stockholm Business School – Stockholm, Sweden
University of East Anglia – Norwich, England
University of Stirling – Stirling, Scotland
University of the West of Scotland: Science and Sport Research Summer School – Paisley, Scotland
Other Summer Study Abroad Options
HPU Global Experience Programs
HPU’s Global Experience programs provide students and HPU faculty with opportunities to be immersed in cultures unlike their own. Also known as “Maymesters,” these are short-term programs led by HPU faculty members. Students can connect what they learn in the classroom with the current events and cultural legacies that they encounter while away from the HPU campus. Whether the program takes students to another U.S. state, or to the other side of the world, it is a life-changing experience! Learn more about upcoming programs on the Global Experience page as well as past programs on the Global Experience History page.
Independent Summer Study Abroad Programs
While HPU does not have affiliated summer study abroad programs, a number of study abroad providers, including some affiliated with HPU for semester only programming, offer impactful experiences abroad. Consider programs offered by the following institutions and providers:
- American University of Rome – Rome, Italy – The American University of Rome program is offered through the University of Wisconsin at Platteville. Credits earned through this program are from the American University of Rome.
- Spanish-American Institute – Seville, Spain – The Spanish-American Institute program is offered through the University of Wisconsin at Platteville. Credits earned through this program are from the Spanish-American Institute.
- Studio Art Centers International (SACI) – Florence, Italy – SACI offers Late Spring and Summer term programs.
- University of North Carolina at Wilmington – UNCW faculty-led programs to various destinations around the world: Australia, Belize, Chile, China, Costa Rica, England, France, Germany, Japan, Scotland, Spain, and a multi-country program (Italy, Greece, France, Turkey). Note: Credits earned from UNCW.
- American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS) – Summer programs are available in Australia, Austria, Brazil, China, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Peru, South Africa, Spain, and multiple-destination programs. Note: Credits earned from the institutions abroad.
- International Studies Abroad (ISA) – Summer programs are available in Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, England, France, India, Ireland, Italy, Jordan, Morocco, Panama, Peru, South Korea, and Spain. Note: Credits earned from the institutions abroad.
- Spanish Studies Abroad – Summer programs are available in Argentina and Spain. Note: Credits earned from the institutions abroad.