Study Abroad

Unaffiliated Programs

HPU strongly recommends students study abroad on programs with a formal agreement with High Point University; however, if after researching the options provided by HPU no program is found that meets your academic needs, you may consider researching an unaffiliated (non-HPU) study abroad program.

HPU students planning to study abroad on any study abroad program, including unaffiliated programs, must meet with the Office of Study Abroad, complete OSA paperwork, abide by HPU and OSA policy, and attend all required pre-departure orientation meeting(s). Contact the Office of Study Abroad at (336) 841-9280 to schedule an appointment.


Policies and Limitations for Unaffiliated Study

The following include some of the policies and limitations for HPU students applying to an unaffiliated program, as well as recommendations from the Office of Study Abroad:

  • Due to the terms agreed upon in our affiliation & exchange agreements:
    • HPU students cannot apply directly to a program, or through a third-party provider to an institution, with which HPU and the host institution or provider hold a current affiliation or exchange agreement. Students who apply to an HPU partner in this manner, in spite of this policy, will not be approved for hiatus and must withdraw from High Point University and reapply for admission to High Point University upon completion of their studies abroad.
    • HPU students cannot opt to pay fees directly to a program, or third-party provider to an institution, with which HPU and the host institution or provider hold a current affiliation or exchange agreement, even if the costs differ from what’s found on the HPU website.
    • HPU students must abide by the minimum application requirements (GPA, class standing, major, etc.) set forth by High Point University and/or the institution abroad, even if the requirements differ from what’s found on the HPU website.
  • Due to residency requirements, HPU students cannot study abroad on an unaffiliated program during their senior year. HPU students must earn the last 32 credits of their degree from HPU, an HPU exchange program, or an affiliated study abroad program.
  • HPU students applying to study on an unaffiliated semester program must attend the required pre-departure orientation in order for their hiatus to be approved. Students not attending the orientation will be withdrawn from High Point University and must reapply for admission upon completion of their studies abroad.
  • HPU institutional financial aid, including the Presidential Scholarship, is not available for an unaffiliated study abroad program and must be forfeited for the semester the student is abroad.
  • While federal financial aid may be available for use on an unaffiliated study abroad program, the process to request this aid differs. For more information, review the information on the Financial Aid for Study Abroad page, including the Financial Aid Policy on Study Abroad, then contact the Office of Financial Planning.
  • HPU strongly discourages enrollment in programs in areas under U.S. Department of State Travel Warnings.


Researching an Unaffiliated Program

While HPU does not promote or endorse unaffiliated study abroad programs, third-party providers, or non-HPU study abroad program databases, our study abroad advisors must meet with all students before they apply to the program of their choice. There are several important things you’ll need to know including, but not limited to, the following:

  • Whether or not HPU accept credits from the unaffiliated program.
  • Whether or not you are qualified to study on an unaffiliated program.
  • Whether you’ll be able to apply for a study away hiatus or withdrawal from HPU.
  • How to apply credits earned at the institution towards your degree.
  • How and to whom payments will be made.
  • What documentation is required from HPU.

It’s important to remember that some programs are better than others in terms of academic content, safety, organization, and price. Before applying to a program, you should get answers to the following important questions:

  • What credits are available? Is tuition included in the program cost? Which institution issues the transcript? How is the institution accredited?What does the program cost include? What is not included? What is the refund policy?
  • What are my housing options? Who coordinates these arrangements?
  • If an immigration visa is required, what resources are available to assist me?
  • If something goes wrong while I am abroad (natural disaster, terrorism, major health problems, family emergency at home, etc.), what assistance will be available to me?


Third-party Providers

Third-party providers offer study abroad programming in multiple locations around the world. Some provide all-inclusive programs, wrapping the costs of flights and excursions with tuition, fees, room, and board. Others provide very limited services, sometimes even not providing an official transcript in the program’s costs. It’s important to be sure of what services you are receiving as an applicant to their program. Speak with your study abroad advisor before applying to an unaffiliated program.


Conducting an Online Search

Many resources are available online to assist students in the selection process. Often times these databases allow you to search program options by subject, country, or term. As much as possible, narrow your choices to keep from being overwhelmed by the number of options available, remembering that not all companies/universities provide comparable programming.


Credit for Unaffiliated Study Abroad

For High Point University to recognize the credits you complete abroad, the university must be accredited to the standards required by HPU and you must earn at least a grade equivalent to a C in the U.S. HPU will not accept credit for courses with grades of C– or below. Grades for all courses earned abroad are recorded on the international transcript. Credits are received by HPU as transfer credits, which means only the credit is displayed on your transcript, not the letter grade. Your HPU grade point average will not be impacted by your study abroad courses.


Satisfying the HPU Global Studies Requirement

While no additional credit is awarded simply for studying abroad, your Global Studies requirement will be waived automatically provided you have completed an academic course of study (whether affiliated, unaffiliated, or Global Experience) outside of the U.S. lasting at least four (4) weeks, conducted through an accredited institution, and bearing at least three (3) credits recognized by High Point University.


Request More Information


The Office of Global Education is located in Cottrell Hall, Suite 142. Building #12 on the HPU Campus Map.

Phone: +1 (336) 841-9280

Click here to meet our staff.


Study Abroad in the News

Class of 2017 Profile: Marissa Barrett Becomes Content Creator in NYC
read more
Students Explore Japanese Culture During ‘Maymester’ in Tokyo
read more
Class of 2017 Profile: Garr Goes to Grad School for Biomedical Visualization
read more
View All