If you still haven’t found the program that suits your needs and interests, you may consider researching and applying to an unaffiliated (non-HPU) study abroad program.
While HPU does not promote or endorse unaffiliated study abroad programs, third-party providers, or non-HPU study abroad program databases, our study abroad advisors still need to meet with all students before they apply to the program of their choice. There are several important things you’ll need to know including, but not limited to, the following:
- Whether or not HPU accept credits from the unaffiliated program.
- How to apply credits earned at the institution towards your degree.
- How and to whom payments will be made.
- What documentation is required from HPU.
To begin the process, contact the Office of Study Abroad at (336) 841-9280 to schedule an appointment.
IMPORTANT: Students looking for information online may find discrepancies in program fees between what HPU charges and what other providers charge. If High Point University is already affiliated with a certain educational institution, HPU students would have to withdraw from the University if they chose to go with another provider. Please note: We are unable to approve a student for hiatus in this case.
Researching an Unaffiliated Program
Keep in mind that some programs are better than others in terms of academic content, safety, organization, and price. Before applying to a program, you should get answers to the following important questions:
- What credits are available? Is tuition included in the program cost? Which institution issues the transcript? How is the institution accredited?What does the program cost include? What is not included? What is the refund policy?
- What are my housing options? Who coordinates these arrangements?
- If an immigration visa is required, what resources are available to assist me?
- If something goes wrong while I am abroad (natural disaster, terrorism, major health problems, family emergency at home, etc.), what assistance will be available to me?
Limitations/Differences of Unaffiliated Programs
Also be aware that there are limitations for HPU students applying to an unaffiliated program:
- Due to the terms agreed upon in our affiliation & exchange agreements, HPU students cannot apply directly to a program, or through a third-party provider to an institution, for which HPU and the host institution or provider hold a current affiliation or exchange agreement. Additionally, student cannot opt to pay fees directly to that host institution/provider. Students who apply to an HPU partner in this manner, in spite of this policy, will not be approved for hiatus and must withdraw from High Point University and reapply for admission to High Point University upon completion of their studies abroad.
- Due to residency requirements, HPU students cannot study abroad on an unaffiliated program during their senior year. HPU students must earn the last 32 credits of their degree from HPU or an affiliated study abroad program.
- HPU strongly discourages enrollment in programs in areas under U.S. Department of State Travel Warnings.
- HPU financial aid, including the Presidential Scholarship, is not available for an unaffiliated study abroad program.
- While federal financial aid may be available for use on an unaffiliated study abroad program, the process to request this aid differs. For more information, review the information on the Financial Aid for Study Abroad page, including the Financial Aid Policy on Studying Abroad, then contact the Office of Financial Planning.
Third-party providers offer study abroad programming in multiple locations around the world. Some provide all-inclusive programs, wrapping the costs of flights and excursions with tuition, fees, room, and board. Others provide very limited services. It’s important to be sure of what services you are receiving as an applicant to their program. Some third-party providers include:
Conducting an Online Search
Many resources are available online to assist students in the selection process. Often times these databases allow you to search program options by subject, country, or term. As much as possible, narrow your choices to keep from being overwhelmed by the number of options available. Some searchable study abroad databases include:
Credit for Unaffiliated Study Abroad
For High Point University to recognize the credits you complete abroad, the university must be accredited to the standards required by HPU and you must earn at least a grade equivalent to a C in the U.S. HPU will not accept credit for courses with grades of C– or below. Grades for all courses earned abroad are recorded on the international transcript. Credits are received by HPU as transfer credits, which means only the credit is displayed on your transcript, not the letter grade. Your HPU grade point average will not be impacted by your study abroad courses.
Satisfying the HPU Global Studies Requirement
While no additional credit is awarded simply for studying abroad, your Global Studies requirement will be waived automatically provided you have completed an academic course of study (whether affiliated, unaffiliated, or Global Experience) outside of the U.S. lasting at least four (4) weeks, conducted through an accredited institution, and bearing at least three (3) credits recognized by High Point University.