Study Abroad Why Study Abroad?
At High Point University, our emphasis on global perspectives is designed to provide students with opportunities to enhance their international awareness and to develop their cross-cultural communication skills. Study abroad is strongly encouraged as a part of this emphasis on global studies. With a variety of extraordinary options at some of the most prestigious universities in the world, students at High Point University are encouraged to study abroad as early as the summer after their freshman year.
Employers are looking for more than just a degree; they want well-rounded individuals who have familiarity with diverse cultures, special skills, and knowledge of the world around them. To gain a competitive edge in our global community, it is essential to gain understanding and expertise through first-hand experience. Some of the benefits of studying abroad include:
- Get outside your comfort zone and see a different perspective
- Enhance your time-management, budgeting and independent travel abilities
- Gain independence & self-confidence
- Become immersed in a different culture and learn to observe and adapt
- Complete courses toward your major, or general education requirements
- Improve your foreign language skills
- Develop inter-cultural sensitivity
- Studying abroad often solidifies a students career goals and interests
- Complete an internship for academic credit and gain valuable international work experience
- Be more competitive through transferrable skills such as cross-cultural communication and team-work
- Boost your résumé and develop personally and professionally through service learning and volunteer opportunities
- Have specific experiences to talk about on your cover letter and in interviews
Set yourself apart: Less than 2% of US college students study abroad before they graduate